Need to identify a part that popped in a hunter fan remote

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
My guess it's an encoder: Holtec HT-12E. http://www.holtek.com/pdf/consumer/2_12ev120.pdf

18 pin DIP

Check if the power supply is getting to pin 9/18. If you have an oscilloscope check Pin 17 while pressing a button. If you don't have an oscilloscope try with a multimeter just to see if something happens. (voltage reading)

DO NOT SHORT pin 18 and pin 17 when doing this.

How do you know it's not the receiver that has a problem?

velcrogrip

Joined Feb 18, 2013
no signal on a multimeter on 9/18. don't have an oscilloscope.

I don't know 100% its not the receiver except by the description my friend gave me. She said she could only get the remote to work by banging it (i said you likely damaged the remote, but i'd see if I could find anything visibly broken)
At this point, its looking like there are probably too many possible variables, with the glue removed, and the IC not receiving power. Curiosity is making me want to continue, but logic says paying the 66 bucks after a few hours of work is probably the better idea.

I do appreciate all of your help for this newbie here.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Pin 18 to 9 is the power supply voltage. There HAS to be some voltage otherwise the chip doesn't work. Take out the batteries and measure continuity from pin 18 to to where the battery + pole is connected to. Same for the pin 9.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
See if you are getting 9V at the point the wires come from the battery to the board.

It could be something as simple as the snap connector on the battery broke, or a wire inside it did, and banging on it would bump the broken pieces back into place enough for it to work.