Need to identify a part that popped in a hunter fan remote

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by velcrogrip, Feb 18, 2013.

1. velcrogrip

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 18, 2013
    I have a fan remote for a hunter 27185-060 that stopped working. I took off the back cover of the remote and the blue item (a capacitor?) looks to have blown up and melted all over other components. I scraped off the glue like substance and now need to replace that exploded component, if I can identify it. Otherwise, a replacement remote is upwards of 65-75 dollars.

Any one know how I can tell what it is, and what size it might be or how I could figure it out, post-mortem?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    No help from Hunter.

3. StayatHomeElectronics

Sep 25, 2008
    Is the a reference designator next to the part, something like the R1 or C1 of the neighboring parts?

Is there anything written on the part itself?

4. sheldons

Oct 26, 2011
    give us a better close up of the failed part.....from what i can see it looks live an electrolytic capacitor but need a closer look....side on view close up

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I'm thinking 220uf at 16 volts.
    Just a wild guess, but here's the logic: It's an aluminum electrolytic next to a megahertz oscillator. Probably just power supply filtering. This machine might work if you simply remove it, and you have to remove it some day...give it a try.

6. velcrogrip

Feb 18, 2013
    I appreciate everyone's help. I'll post more pictures tonight from different angles. The was a C1 to the right of blue item, that was the only thing I saw on the board. Nothing written on it at all, just blue. After I take the photos, i'll remove the item and see if that works.

I'll let you know the results. Thanks again.

7. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    Mmh, this looks not like a electrolytic cap to me. Why does it have edges? Looks more like an adjustable capacitor to me. I've never seen one damaged. Maybe the glue-like stuff was just to lock it in position.

Need a side view.

8. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Looks more like a trimpot to me.

9. velcrogrip

Feb 18, 2013
    I had thought about the chance that the glue was purposely put there. but it seemed to be coming out of the center of the blue item and covered all the resistors and everything else, in a very random manner, and the back side is correctly soldered, so i wouldn't think they would need that, unless it was some type of coolant?!?

Looked more like it oozed out of it somehow. If it were glue, i'd have expected that they'd glue everything, not just that one spot, but that is my inexperience talking.

10. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
  11. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    I think they put glue all over the high frequency part to make sure components stay where they are. The circuit is tuned with an adjustable capacitor or coil and then need to be fixed. If one of these small picofarad caps moves the circuit might be detuned. That's why you had glue all over them.

Just my guess, since I've seen something like this before.

12. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    If I'm right, don`t touch this part, don't bend any caps, don't try to adjust the blue capacitor.

Tell us what is printed on the IC.

HT... something?

13. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    I think you're right. Good work!

praondevou likes this.
  14. velcrogrip

Feb 18, 2013
    From the sound of it, it was glue and I shouldn't have touched it in the first place, and maybe that part isn't actually the problem.
    I'll post everything I can see tonight.

It might turn out to be better to go with the replacement device after since I've potentially already altered the placement simply with the initial glue removal.

15. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    If the HF part still works you might be able to more or less tune it while preesing a button and adjust it until the receiver recognizes the command. This requires a plastic tip screwdriver (apparently with a triangle tip). For your case any screwdriver-like plastic thing will do it.

16. velcrogrip

Feb 18, 2013
    There is still enough glue inside that blue item where it likely hasn't been altered. But the other components around it may have changed angles. I don't know how important that is. We shall see.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    In the future, if a capacitor explodes, they explode liquid, not glue. You can rinse the liquid off with water. You can also scrape it off with a Q-tip. The word, "scrape" is too vague for this because it can mean anything from, "scrape gently with the edge of a piece of paper" to, "scrape the top layer of concrete and soil off with a bulldozer".

18. velcrogrip

Feb 18, 2013
    here are the larger photos... no good info i can see from it. it does appear the back of the board has residue right where the blue item is, like something happened, but i'm not sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. velcrogrip

Feb 18, 2013
    Sorry, couldn't get my phone to focus really well that close up.

Remote not working as is.

20. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    Well the blue component is definitely an adjustable capacitor.

What is printed on the IC? Still can't read it. HT...?