Need to Determine RF Signal Strength...

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by vivekanantha7, Jan 5, 2009.

1. vivekanantha7

Thread Starter Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Can anyone Help me Design an RF Signal Strength Measurement Device? Let me Explain you how it should work. For a particular frequency, this device should be capable to determining RF Signal Strength of that frequency in Visual Form. Is there anyway to do this project using PIC microcontroller?

2. leftyretro

Nov 25, 2008
    Need a little more specific details. Is this for direct connection to a RF output circuit or just field strength with a small antenna ? How large a range of measurement do you wish?

Lefty

3. vivekanantha7

Thread Starter Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Hi,
    I may need both, because i am just planning to design some robot that locates an object through RF measurement. If you can help me out in this, please let me know both the Possibilities of RF measurement. Thanking you for the reply...

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    The specific device is a field strength meter - http://www.trifield.com/rf_meter.htm.

For robotic location, you will need a very directive antenna. What frequency are you planning to operate on?

5. vivekanantha7

Thread Starter Member

Dec 1, 2008
    The Circuit in the object will give out 433Mhz and for PC to robot communication, i wish to have it at 315Mhz. Wont these two signal get interfered.? I saw the link that you gave me. I think it was already designed one. Cant we make one ?

6. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008

Are you looking for relative field strength, or absolute, calibrated field strength? The former is trivially simple, the latter can be extremely difficult.

Eric

7. leftyretro

Nov 25, 2008
  8. vivekanantha7

Thread Starter Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Yes this is the Same thing is was searching for. while i was searching of RF Signal Measurement, i got many IC's name but it was little confusing one. Ok, let me find and use the IC, that you preferred me. Thank you for it...