need to buy discrete FETs and BJTs

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by fez, Dec 30, 2010.

1. fez

Thread Starter Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Hello. I am wishing to buy some discrete FETs and BJTs, but I don't know the varieties they are available in and their model numbers. Could anyone suggest some please? Also, in what section of a semiconductor manufacturing website (say, ti.com) can I expect to find these?

2. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
  3. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    Must be a thousand companies that make these. You need to start out by knowing the specs you want or there are places that sell some assortments.

You don't list your location in your profile so all I can do is suggest US suppliers, many of which will ship to about anywhere.

If you want to learn how to use the drill down menus for their database try http://www.mouser.com as I feel they've got the best prices and shipping. http://www.digikey.com also has a almost the same stuff but their shipping is higher. Then there's Arrow, Avnet, Farnell - the list goes on for ages.

http://www.goldmine-elec.com can be a good bargain source and if you order from them be sure to buy at least one of their surprise boxes as you won't be disappointed.

Item :G2200
    Item :G9321
    Item :G17225

There will be some components common to all of them but they're all a bit different, the larger ones contain more of the unique stuff and the smaller ones have more of the smaller stuff. Although 95% of it are components I'll probably never use it's fun digging through them and I've always got my money's worth just by picking out items I know I can use then putting the rest back into the box and up on the shelf. I once got one of the small boxes that had a huge amount of extremely high $ pots and in one of their large ones I got a meter movement that must have been $1,000 when it came out along with so many other components it wasn't funny. Don't let the small box fool you, it's not all that small, must have about 3,000 pieces in it. If money isn't an object get one of each, I promise you you you won't be disappointed.

Again, update your profile to indicate your location and let us know what you're looking for so we can help further.

4. fez

Thread Starter Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Whoa, I'm confused!

As far as size goes, I just need the ones that go on a breadboard and stuff. I don't know what those types are called. And you can see my location now, I hope. :)

As for specs: For now, consider me needing only very typical specs.

5. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    Pakistan is rough to ship to but if you're willing to pay the few extra روپیہ I'm sure most anyone will ship to you.

I'll start the list with 2N3904 & 2N3906 transistors, alternately the 2N4400, 2N2222 and their complimentary transistors in PNP. You'll find yourself using more NPN transistors than you will PNPs. You can get most any of these for around 4$ US per hundred and I suggest taking advantage of the volume discount as you'll end up using them quite often.

You'll want to buy a 100 pack of 1N4148 diodes which are about 0.01 $US if you buy at least 25 as well as some general purpose rectifiers, the 1N5404 series is probably your best bet.

Others will chime in in time and suggest some FETS and other things you'll want, just plan your order out well as you'll want a few regulator ICs, resistors, 0.1 uF caps, some electrolytic caps etc.

6. fez

Thread Starter Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Well actually we do have limited but fairly useful places to buy chips and ICs. My own lab at college has the 2n3904/6. It also has the CD4007 CMOS ICs. But, are there others? And what 'category' do these ICs usually belong in websites? For instance, the 2n3904 is without a category on fairchild: http://www.fairchildsemi.com/pf/2N/2N3904.html

Also, while we're talking about shipping, do you mean from the likes of Farnell, or directly from the semiconductor manufacturers themselves? Apparently, Farnell has an official franchise in Pakistan as well. But at this point I'm not exactly sure what Farnell (and the others you mentioned) do, exactly... are they just shipping companies that transport electronic products from various manufacturers to you?

7. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    Farnell is a stocking distributor for a ton of components from a ton of manufacturers, if you have a branch there you're set.

8. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    Come on people, I only gave him a few basic parts to start with.
    He's going to need some common FETS, resistors, caps and the the like.

9. fez

Thread Starter Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Thanks for you help. And don't worry, I'll manage! Thanks again.

I looked at the surprise boxes. Will consider them whenever possible.

Perhaps you know the answer to my FET/BJT categorization question too?

10. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    On the farnell website, you can find the transistors under semiconductors - discrete, the 4007 is under semiconductors - IC - logic.

11. fez

Thread Starter Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Yeah, apparently its also listed as a logic category item on manufacturer's website. Weird. I'd expect it to have its own, separate category. Transistor's certainly aren't used just for logic, I mean.

12. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    Which one?

13. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    Look back at the first post and what follows, he's just trying to put together a small assortment of stuff to start experimenting with. I'm still too hung over from last night to do it, guess a half of a small bottle of Champagne is too much for me at my age, I'll just stick to my occasional bottle or two of beer on the occasional weekend.