Need to "Bump Start" a small DC motor

crckrmn77

Joined May 29, 2012
@Ron-

The Logic Level PMOS, is there an NTE equivalent?? NTE2371? This race is tonight, and I don't have a lot of source options. My local electronics supplier only carriers NTE products (and don't have any P-Channel MOSFETs in stock) and then there is Radioshack.

Could this be modified to accomodate an N-channel MOSFET? Otherwise, the closest I can come is a TIP42G (BJT). Would that work?

Jeremy

Last edited:

crckrmn77

Joined May 29, 2012
Could the TIP42G substitute for the PMOS? Our supply shop here doesn't have any logic level MOSFETs in P or N in stock :(

Jeremy

crckrmn77

Joined May 29, 2012
@Ron H & Bernard-

Thank you very much for your help with this project. I just got back from the race, where I took 2nd place overall. The winning car, used a rubber band to slingshot off of the start and the flat of the track wasn't long enough for me to catch up.

I was not able to get the circuit Ron posted to work on the breadboard, probably due to not having the PMOS chip???) and instead just wired a toggle switch to the power supply. Definitely not as elegant a concept, but it worked against all but the slingshot. One car used 3lbs of lead, another used a lead pipe, and yet another used a blower motor.

I have decided that I will simply build a car when time permits for the eventuality of another open class race. I will revisit the bump start circuit then, and add to it wheels on roller bearings and a geared drive axle (despite the decline in the track the torque was, in fact, problematic).

Again, thank you so much for the help. I really appreciate it.

Jeremy

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Reminds me of when I was a kid. I had a toy army tank with a wind-up clockspring motor. It had a governor that made it crawl across the ground, up steep hills, etc.
For some reason, my dad took the governor out. That sucker would take off like a scalded cat!