Need To Build A Battery Replacement For Elenco 300 in 1 Kit

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by HowdeeDoodee, Feb 6, 2014.

1. HowdeeDoodee

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 28, 2006
    I got an Elenco 300 in 1 kit for Christmas. The kit eats batteries. The problem is the kit has no on-off switch going to the battery pack underneath the breadboard and connectors. I need ideas for building a "disconnectable" battery pack for the kit that sits outside the plastic breadboard and connectors. Six AA, 1.5 volt batteries power the unit. The voltages available in the kit are 1.5 volt, 3.0 volts, 4.5 volts, 6.0 volts, 7.5 volts and 9.0 volts.

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Can you post a picture of the battery box? I am thinking in terms of adding a powersupply unit outside

3. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    If you leave a circuit built on the board it will continue to operate, draining the batteries. Or at least this is how the old ones were. To keep it from eating batteries, you need to remove all of the components/circuits when your done working with it, or remove the batteries.

Or you could add a "master switch". But this would mean modifying the board. Cut the link between the negative pole of the battery box and wire in a SPST switch. This would allow you to shut of the power to the board. The old manuals did have a warning to remove batteries when not in use, don't know about the new one.

4. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    What about using a walwart or building a supply for it
    ???

5. HowdeeDoodee

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Thank you for the suggestions. Right now I think I am going to add an external battery box and port the positive and negative terminals into the box on the underside of the board.

6. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    I am guessing that the varying voltages in the kit depend upon being able to tap into the battery pack one cell at a time. If that is the case, then your external battery pack will need that capability as well. As such, there will be seven wires needed from the battery pack to the kit, which will be difficult to do from a standard 6-cell battery pack. You may find that six individual battery holders will be needed.

shortbus likes this.
  7. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    That is one of the reasons why I asked for picture of the battery box

8. TANDBERGEREN

Jan 20, 2014
  9. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
  10. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    Or this.....................
    With a switch or matching plug.
    Common battery pack.

Choosing and matching Vf should get closer.

Not as silly as it looks.:D
    And educational!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  11. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    That's the way mine is. That's why I said to switch the negative lead, it will cut out all of the voltages that way.

tracecom likes this.
  12. burger2227

Feb 3, 2014
    Instead of tapping between diodes which would require at least 10 ma of current to reduce voltage .6 volts, just tap different colored wires between the 6 batteries. 9 volt batteries don't deliver much bang for the buck. Less than AAA even.

13. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    I was thinking that, but then battery levels would get out of whack.

A few mA load resistor is simple enough.

Also, those battery packs are neatly packaged.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014