Need suggestions on demultiplexing

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by csouther, Mar 11, 2011.

1. csouther

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 11, 2011
    I have a project where it consists of 6 push buttons NO (4 or 8 possible), all independent to each other. A single (NO) push button and a selector switch that will toggle between 1 of the 6 other buttons to be replaced by the single (NO) button. I know that is way confusing so here's a simple diagram to explain better.

I am thinking of using a demultiplexor to be able to use 1 input to 6 or 8 outputs but how can I achieve this. I am obviously pretty ignorant when it comes to this stuff but any help in the right direction would be great.

Each of the 6 buttons needs to function normally when not being replaced by the #1 button shown in the diagram. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    It is hard to tell what is going on. Can you use a rotary switch to select the active button?

3. csouther

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Would like to be able to push a single button that togles through all the other buttons with every push.

Ex. You push the button and it moves the Ss (single switch that will always replace the selected switch) to replace S1, then you push the button again and it moves Ss to replace S2 (S1 going back to it's original state).

Does that make more sense? I need it to be small and digital in the end. A rotary switch is too big for the application. Also, each time the Ss is moved to replace another switch, it will light up an led that will be placed by the replaced switch to show which one is being replaced with Ss.