Need suggestions for wireless alarm

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
This is for the camper on my truck, not an automotive modification. Power will come from an auxiliary battery and no existing wiring will be touched. I have kilobucks worth of tools in the back of my truck and I'd like to keep them where they are - I would like to know immediately if someone attempts to break into the camper. Consider this scenario; I'm at school, sitting at a desk half a mile away from my truck - there's no way I would hear an alarm even if it were a train horn. I would like to have a dongle on my keychain that starts going nuts when the alarm is tripped. I would like to be able to enable/disable the alarm via the dongle just like a regular car alarm, but not necessarily from half a mile away. I considered using some kind of GPRS module to text me if something goes wrong, but considering I've had text messages show up hours after the sender sent them, I don't think that's ideal - plus I would need to pay a monthly fee. I was looking at x-bee, and I've read that there are industrial versions with range measured in miles, but I cannot find any kind of x-bee dongle that would go on a key chain. Any body have any ideas?