Need suggestions for the power supply solution on this design.Ideas?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by SandiegoSD, Oct 18, 2012.

1. SandiegoSD

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Hi folks, I'm designing a Milli-ohm measurement test board wrt to this schematic designed by K.Wong.
    and I've finished the left half , the current source part. I did a spice simulation as below:

I'm trying to get a fairly high (500 mA ) current, so my ckt ends up pumping 10V to the positive input
    to the AD8276 diff. amp. And also the Vs for the diff amp chips is using 22V(or i think 24V is fine too).

I'm looking for some suggestions on how to implement the power supply circuit/components for the final test board.

I'm planning to use wall plugs(120V), so I'd need a converter(possibly an Open Frame converter?) to bring it down to maybe 20~30V, then another component that regulates it to 22V or 24V to feed the AD8276. Also I can see I'd need something(maybe a buck converter) to generate the 10V on the positive input on the amp.
    I haven't designed any voltage regulator before and have little experience . Could anyone give me some suggestions on how to achieve the conversion from 120V wall outlets to a fairly stable 22V/10V voltage ? I'd appreciate it if you could name some specific parts or designs that do this.
    Thank you.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  2. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    How about a transformer
  3. SandiegoSD

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 12, 2012
    yes, that'll be the first stage in the power supply circuit(the Open Frame power supply I mentioned is a specific example) . but i think some regulators(not sure about the terminology) are needed too after that
  4. crutschow

Mar 14, 2008
    The easiest might be to find a wall-wart with the desired current for the 22-24V. E-bay may have some.

The 10V is low current so that could be provided by a 10V voltage regular or 10V reference IC powered from the 22V.