Need some ideas for PIC32 OLED PCB

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I want to design a PIC32 PCB, including a 128x64 (0.96") OLED display.
This PIC has no USB. It needs 3V. It has internal RTC.

What should be included to the PCB?

Adding a lithium battery + charger IC adds too much cost.
some keys maybe?

a 7seg Display?

-All I/O pins will be labelled on the PCB.

-Maybe a small 2-axis joystick, or a PCB support to add it later?

-Some LEDs or PCB support for them?

-A reset key?

-dc/dc converter?

But I'd really like just to make a PCB with only the OLED.

I am going to produce 20 or so PCBs and I want to sell the PCBs.

-What about the price? Is 20 dollars too much?

It would include source code to work with the OLED display.

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
A dev board.

Like these?

Or like this?

Which Pic32?
Something that will be able to use capacitive touch sensors makes sense.
That replaces the joystick idea with trace interlace sensing pads covered by solder mask.

Something you could sell for $20?

Part number, links and datasheet for the OLED would be a big help.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
The chip is a
PIC32MX120F032D (44 pins TQFP)

32K FLASH 8K RAM, no USB (also there are pin-compatible PICs which have USB).

OLED: UG-2864HLBEG01 (you can get result from that with google)0.96" - 128x64For a game application you need a real joystick (these are similar to these used for Playstation controllers).

Capacitive touch is not fast enough for rapid action (particulary x/y control).
I only think of it as option (connector on PCB).Yes there are more powerful PICs, and larger displays, as well color displays.
I am more thinking of a board that is so cheap it can replace 8bit controller boards with character LCD.
There is a webpage for the PCB, soon with datasheets, pictures, and more information.
http://aranna.altervista.org/dragonsnest/microcontroller-projects/pic32-oled-pcb/

Last edited:

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
A dev board.

Like these?

Or like this?

Something you could sell for $20?
Yes, it will cost 20 dollar, or 25 (depends how long it takes me to assemble the PCB).

These dev boards are nice, but it is a difference to using 8bit PICs with just a character LCD or a Nokia display.

they cost about 100 dollar, so normally you dont use them like micro Arduino (just a new one for each project).

Also included in the price are software examples- really things like audio, capacitive touch, and graphics libraries.

My idea is to replace 8bit PIC circuits with PIC32, and it is only marginally more expensive.

these character LCDs are a bit out of fashion now. Well...I have built many 7seg circuits but they are quite limited in terms of possibilities, and given the PCB space you need for driving, a small OLED is not reasonably more expensive.

Color of course needs much more data, more memory, more speed- that said, I have used a color TFT with just an 18F PIC (a cheap 28 pin chip). It is OK to display text, but memory somehow is not abundant (so I used external serial FLASH for bitmaps).

For monochrome, the 32K Flash is more than enough.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
For my use the RTC is near useless as you need to keep the PIC powered up always and forever to maintain the time. I've found it far easier to use another device (which part escapes me, holla back if you want the low cost answer).

A touchscreen is a far better answer then buttons, although Mikroelectronica uses both on their board. Personally all I want is a reset button.

Rather then guess other options make a way to add a user area, definitely raw pins to headers, maybe a grid of pads on 0.1" centers.

$25 is cheap for a populated board, expensive for a blank board. You would need a following of motivated people to sell bare boards.