Need some help with school project

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by drew93, Mar 29, 2011.

1. drew93

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Well what we are doing is making a small scale power grid with 2 renewable energy sources. My job is to make the connection between the two. Right now I am having trouble building a DC to AC circuit that connects from the renewable side to the grid. We are receiving 5 volts 25mA from the RE side and I need to convert that into 5v rms 60hz to the grid side. Could anyone help me find a circuit that would help me meet those requirements? Thank you.

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    A simple 555 circuit could do the latter. You didn't specify if you wanted a sine wave or not, which will increase complexity. You mentioned RMS, which hints you do want a sine wave. In this case I think I would go with a PWM circuit and a simple sine wave oscillator, as this will be a lot more efficient than a simple analog amplifier after an oscillator.

5V RMS (sine wave) means you will need a 14.14 P-P signal. Unless you have a transformer (a valid assumption) you will need a 15VDC power supply.

3. drew93

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    We do need a sine wave.Could you point me to a pwm circuit that I could use as there are tons out there. Also where would I find the correct sine wave oscillator circuit? So I need a transformer I assume since I do not have a power supply. We are getting power from our renewable energy source which is only 5vrms

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    You'll need a sine wave generator.

Bill's Index

Sine Wave Oscillators A PDF abstract by TI

It is possible a simple oscillator will fit your needs. I'd lean towards the Bubba oscillator myself, though I've never used it (yes, that is its name).

As for a transformer, you can roll your own using a simple toroid core and magnet wire. Since your power requirements are pretty modest this is easy to do.

If you want me to try for something more advance I can sketch something up. This will keep you busy for a day or so though.

A work in progress...

AC/DC Inverters