Need some help with keypads.

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by unseen marine, Nov 24, 2010.

1. unseen marine

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Hey (I apologise if this is in the wrong place),

On my current circuit (its a electronic poker chip device) currently the inputs are PTM which send out pulses, however, I would instead like to give the option for the user to input the amount they want with a key pad - its the 3 x 4 one from RapidOnline. However, I have no idea on how to code the E28 chip to work with it - how would you go about coding it??

Best regards

Josh

P.S. I am using the latest circuit wizard.
    [​IMG]

2. tom66

May 9, 2009
    What is an "E28" chip?

3. unseen marine

Nov 24, 2010
    Its a pickaxe chip, its (I believe) made by Genie - who make circuit wizard.

If you want I can take a screen shot of my current circuit - although I have removed the PTMs

4. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    photo's will help?

5. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
  6. unseen marine

Nov 24, 2010
    Well I can't access Circuit Wizard till tomorrow, however, I can explain the chips I have in it to you.

At the start I had 4 PTM's (with resistors to hold low) going into a C20 (like an E28 but less memory); from there the one output goes to a 4510 which goes to a 4511 - which goes to the 7 segment displays; thats the basic version of it.

7. unseen marine

Nov 24, 2010
    I have attached a picture of the wiring of the keypad I wired up, however, each row, when pressed i.e. for the first row with the LED. When either 1, 2 or 3 is pressed it lights up the LED even though its only meant to be 1....

I have also attached the counting part of my circuit, i.e. the chips for the 7 segment display.

Regards,

Josh

8. John P

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2008
    I can't understand your circuit, but keypads are usually read by a scanning process. If you have a processor that can do that, it saves using any other components. Procedure is, ground one column and see if any row goes low; if not, ground the next column and see if any row goes low; if not, ground the last column and see if any row goes low; if not, nothing's pressed.