Need some help with an accelerometer

simf14

Joined Jul 27, 2007
Hello and thank you.
I have an analog output accelerometer board from ST micro (511-STEVAL-MKI014V1) that I would like to trigger an adjustable momentary audio alarm if the output reaches a desired level. Could anyone offer suggestions to a person with little electronic experience?

rfordh

Joined Oct 26, 2010
I think the most important question is what kind of alarm did you have in mind? There are buzzers that will beep if you put a current through it, which you could probably drive with the output of a comparator. The comparator could have an adjustable threshold.

If you want to have a more complicated alarm, it will probably take a more complicated circuit to drive it.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Agreed. If you have only a speaker, or piezo, you will need to trigger a frequency generator. A simple 555 circuit will handle this task.

If the alarm speaker is "bigger" than a hobby-sized speaker, you will also require amplification.

simf14

Joined Jul 27, 2007
Agreed. If you have only a speaker, or piezo, you will need to trigger a frequency generator. A simple 555 circuit will handle this task.

If the alarm speaker is "bigger" than a hobby-sized speaker, you will also require amplification.

Thank you that is exactly what I want a small piezo with 555. Can you send me any links to what you might have in mind? Again many thanks!

simf14

Joined Jul 27, 2007
Thank you retched...any suggestions on how I control the trigger level from the accelerometer, in other words how do I enable that piezo circuit to buzz at 4g's or 2.5 g's? I believe earlier there was some talk of a comparator...