Need some help to find a switch

analyst303

Joined Aug 18, 2014
Hi all,

Good to know this forum is exist.

I have a project that I need a specific switch for it but I cant find it. I know the switch is exist but I guess I'm not searching it with the correct name.
the switch I need suppose to be illuminated push button that can switch between 4 position - OFF, Low, Medium, High. (then again OFF, Low....)

anyone have any idea ?
thanks.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
You could perform the function using relays and a momentary switch. The one you describe is not a normal item and would be custom made. Very expensive.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Typically that functionality is NOT build into the switch but whatever circuit the switch is attached to..

Do you have more details? like whats it for? why do you need a replacement? what voltage/current levels?,etc...

analyst303

Joined Aug 18, 2014
to be more specific, I need something that can work for me like a dimmer but in a fixed positions. the power source is 5v.
if you have a better solution for me i'll be glad to hear, but it have to be with illuminated switch that have the 4 position function (OFF, Low, Medium, High).

another thing, the switch / unit should be small as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrSmoofy

Joined Jul 28, 2014
Small, Iluminated, 4 position switch (3 pole) that changes the voltage on each pole. I don't see you finding anything like that already made.

You could have a 4 positon 3 pole rotary switch but I've not see one iluminated then just have each pole supply your low, medium, and high values.

You've not said if you wanted push button or rotary. You've also not said what values of low medium and high are.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
You just repeated the same stuff from your original post.. The ONLY detail you added was your power source is 5V.. MORE DETAILS..

Is 5V high?
What is medium?
What is low?
How much current?
What needs this dimmer/What are you trying to power (datasheet/spec sheet?) ?

analyst303

Joined Aug 18, 2014
Since I'm not an electrician you'll have to forgive me about the luck of information.
I need the switch to be illuminated push button (not rotary) and it should work with 5v heating coil.
the Low / Mid / High suppose to chance the temperature in the heating coil while the High is the Hottest point.

Thanks!

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
So this is for a e-smoke/dab vaporizer I'd guess..
If so there are microprocessors in those "adjustable batteries" and a simple momentary switch is used and the micro monitors that and does whats needed to achieve the "adjustable voltage/wattage". (PWM I'm sure)

As stated above a few times you will NOT find just a momentary push button switch that does that on its own.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
hi,

I wonder if I can use something like this : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Four-Pole-C...nd_Vision_Amplifier_Parts&hash=item19ed161d78

is it possible to use a resistor on each group on the changeover switch so each press on the changeover switch will get a different power input ?
nope.. thats just a 4pdt on/off switch.
A single switch with added no logic will ever meet your needs alone.
There are many ways to do what you want.. but the answer is NOT just a switch alone. The most you can do with a push button switch alone is on and off or medium and low,etc...