Need some help buying stuff from Digikey

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by tom66, Aug 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tom66

Thread Starter Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    The $30 international shipping from Digikey is ridiculous. Also, I get charged £8 + 20% VAT here because UPS "pays the VAT for me" even though I always pay them on time they refuse to drop the £8 charge :(.

However, I'm trying to buy some capacitors to repair some electronics, and the *only* place I can find them at is Digikey. Can anyone perhaps make an order for me and ship it to me? (The cost is probably only $5 for sending by international air mail to my address.) Of course, I'll pay for the components and all associated costs by Paypal or other means.

At the moment, I'm trying to source a Chemicon KMH 560µF 250V 30mm for a plasma TV which I have only found on eBay through shady vendors, selling most likely fake capacitors. However, I could also order some others to reduce the total cost.

- Panasonic FC/FM 820µF 35V for LCD TV x 3
    - Panasonic FC/FM 680µF 25V for LCD TV x 5
    - and a few more values, I have a list, somewhere...

2. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    I do not hope this to be a stupid question,but they don't have it (or anything similar) at digikey.co.uk? You shouldn't be paying so much shipping cost inside the UK. Or does this all come from a central distribution center?

3. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    http://www.digikey.co.uk/
    But, maybe you have to pay shipping and whatever from the US anyway.

I've noticed many times I need something from Newark Electronics (USA) it is actually shipped from Farnell (UK) with the associated time and cost. :(

Ken

4. tom66

May 9, 2009
    Yep, digikey.co.uk is still in the US, and is shipped from Thief River Falls, Minnesota. Because Digikey do not prepay VAT, I have to pay that on delivery. Plus $30 shipping for $10 of capacitors.

5. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    I'd imagine you still run the risk of getting hit with taxes etc. by customs -- our greedy governments continue to want to be supported in the style they've become accustomed to. :p

6. TBayBoy

May 25, 2011
    Just declare them as "gift" or "samples" when you ship to Canada, probably the same to UK. Since they are a few components, samples seem reasonable.

7. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    THIS is an UK based electronics component supplier.

It's called www.anglia.com.

In the KMH datasheet they mention for higher voltages you should use the KMQ or KMR datasheet. I attached both.

Then I found on anglia.com the GN series from Nichicon.

I attached that datasheet too. Looks very similar to me.

I couldn't find out if they have them in stock and what are their shipping costs. So you'll need to call them.

The Part number I found is: LGN2E561MELZ45 from Nichicon. 560uF/250V, diameter 22mm, height 45mm.

Then there is also the 43508 series from Epcos, but I didn't compare all their values with the KMH...

8. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
  9. DGT

Aug 15, 2011
    Have you tried using RS components?

10. tom66

May 9, 2009
    RS only ship to registered businesses, and anyway, there's a £10 charge for the caps, because they are in a US warehouse.

11. BillO

Nov 24, 2008
    Am I the only one on AAC that buy's from the source in China/Hong Kong/Philippines/ Korea/Thailand/Indonesia ?

Why pay a fr**gan middle man unless he provides a useful service? Like reduced shipping and/or reduced cost and/or other benefits?

Have you tried eBay?

Too many vendors want money for nothing these days. Dog dirt!!!

12. tom66

May 9, 2009
    If I buy some Rubycon's or Chemicon's from China, they will probably be counterfeit.

13. tom66

May 9, 2009
    I finally was able to source them from Mouser. They had 6 in stock and I bought 3. Lucky I noticed them. Got Chemi-Con 560µF 250V KMH series, exact match for Samyoung KMH. Hope these fix the 42 inch plasma TV I've been playing with. Thanks for all the offers.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  14. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Do you have before and after pictures on the plasma T.V. repairs.

15. tom66

May 9, 2009
    ^No pictures, sorry.

--

However the plasma is now FIXED. :D

The problem was that the display would start off orange and the background would have plenty of sparkles.

Both problems are now fixed. :)

Thanks to everyones help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.