Need SMD Capacitor Package detail

Pronay

Joined Mar 19, 2016
Hi, I am working on a PCB sample (beginner level) which contain several SMD capacitor. Obviously the problem is I don't know the value! Moreover this smd caps have no code written over them. They just vary in color and size.

Now I have read pretty much every post related to "finding the smd cap value" and got disappointed as there is no way to find the value without an LCR meter (or other too much complex way)!

As those posts are too OLD, I thought maybe now someone can tell me something new about finding SMD capacitor value and related SMD package data.

N.B: I have got an LCR meter and I don't wanna use it.

Thanks in advance.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi, I am working on a PCB sample (beginner level) which contain several SMD capacitor. Obviously the problem is I don't know the value! Moreover this smd caps have no code written over them. They just vary in color and size.

Now I have read pretty much every post related to "finding the smd cap value" and got disappointed as there is no way to find the value without an LCR meter (or other too much complex way)!

As those posts are too OLD, I thought maybe now someone can tell me something new about finding SMD capacitor value and related SMD package data.

N.B: I have got an LCR meter and I don't wanna use it.

Thanks in advance.
What tools/instruments do you have besides an LCR meter? A simple DMM with capacitance measurement capabilities by chance?

What is the opposition to LCR meter?

Pronay

Joined Mar 19, 2016
Package size bares little relation to the value- Time to break out the LCR meter.
Ok I think I can find the capacitor value somehow (although voltage rating unknown) and almost satisfied with that.

But still I need smd package details to design PCB. One way can be manually measuring every details (width, length etc.) with a slide calipers and then relate the data with the package (such as CAP_0402, CAP_1812, CAP_1306 etc.). Wondering is there any better way then this?

Thanks

Pronay

Joined Mar 19, 2016
What tools/instruments do you have besides an LCR meter? A simple DMM with capacitance measurement capabilities by chance?

What is the opposition to LCR meter?
I have a sanwa CD800a. But the value somehow ain't so perfect!

LCR meter is just fine, but I am wondering is there any alternative way!

Pronay

Joined Mar 19, 2016
Your choice to not use the proper tool, which you have, is causing your results.
We can't fix that.
To tell you the truth, measuring Capacitor value with an LCR meter is the easy part, but I am searching for SMD package detail related to the value, just like SMD resistor package datasheets that are available.

Thanks for the reply and I hope you got my point.

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
The size of the package is defined by:
capacity, max voltage and supplier.
A simple way via Farnell find a cap lets say 100nF/50V you will find them in 0805 0603 package.
The size of 0805/ 0603 is a standard available on internet
Information see attached
interesting stuff: PCB_Layout_Tutorial_e < look for this @ internet

Attachments