Need selinoid or something to open water valve for 10-30 seconds then close it.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
So heres my project. I need to have a 25 gallon bottle of liquid, non corrosive, non flameable and trigger it to release liquid 10-30 seconds then close it back again. I'm thinking some sort of selenoid and a pvc tube. Or motor and valve. I don't have much experience in this field so if you can think of some ideas of what I can use it would be appreciative.
Thanks

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Reminds me of a fill valve for a dishwasher or an ice maker (inside a refrigerator) but more appropriate for this job. Good choice...or you could steal a fill valve off a dead appliance and see if it works. (They will be designed for 120 VAC in USA.)

coldpenguin

Joined Apr 18, 2010
I've never used one of these cheepo things, but it would probably work for you. I'm just assuming you don't want to pay hundreds of dollars.
I tried one of those for a similat idea, filling a water-can from a water butt.
2 problems, 1 doesn't work well in low pressure situations (i.e. gravity fed)
wasn't waterproof, and corroded away

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It would be possible to pressurize a bottle of liquid pretty easily for high pressure. The 115VAC is a different problem. Making something waterproof is gravy.

A simple motor controlling a ball valve would also be practical.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
they sell plastic solenoid valves for water at any home depot/lowes/hardware store for sprinkler use.. Typically 24V operation and around $12..
If manual operation is all thats required (ie press a button and it opens then closes automatically after the set time period) just get a delay on make timer relay,the valve, a 24V wall wart, and a button and call it a day.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
The water tank will be pressurized.... :) I can make it water proof. This will need to run in the field on a battery and microcontroller so mains are out of the question. I was thinking of the ball valve and motor too. I already have some 12v low RPM motors.

@lpha

Joined Feb 21, 2012
You can try the pinch electrovanne like this
http://pdf.directindustry.fr/pdf/sirai/electrovannes-pinch/7131-6910-_11.html
No need liquid pressure, and there s no direct contact between liquid and any parts of the electrovanne.

I made this type of electrovanne with a 4mm screw and bolt and DC motor
The axis of motor is fixed to the 4mm screw, and when i applied a 12V DC the bolt slide (up or down depending of the applied current sens) and a small PCB tongue pinch a 3mm silicon pipe.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
they sell plastic solenoid valves for water at any home depot/lowes/hardware store for sprinkler use.. Typically 24V operation and around $12..
If manual operation is all thats required (ie press a button and it opens then closes automatically after the set time period) just get a delay on make timer relay,the valve, a 24V wall wart, and a button and call it a day.
x2 - irrigation valve