need recommendation for storage bins

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I've found a place to store my stuff for cheap, but it's prone to flooding. I heard it got up to 2ft deep during katrina, but after a heavy rain it can get 2 or 3" of water standing for 24hrs. So I need to put my stuff in bins. they need not be totally water tight, but they need to be about 2ft high I'm guessing. they need to be pretty sturdy & stackable. I'm going to stack them all the way to the ceiling, and some might have heavy stuff (think fractional hp induction motors). I want decent quality, decent price. no bugs getting inside. where can I get something like this?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
The walmart rubbermaid ones are what I'm using currently. I've got a whole garage full of them. I'm looking to replace them because when you stack them 8 high with anything heavier than down pillows for longer than a week, the lids morph into taco shells.

EDIT: missed the part about seals & latches. I don't have those. I'll check them out.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Yah Plano's good but you pay thru the nose. I'd imagine their stackable.
I don't mind paying through the nose to an extent if it's going to keep my stuff safe. Someone on facebook recommended pelican cases. Now that's paying through the nose. I don't have that kind of money. I need like 20-30 large totes.

Also, it's looking like the storage location might be falling through, so I'm looking for something that would be viable to store in the back yard (in the weather) for the time being.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Well plano's bread and butter is fishing tackle boxes so you may wanna peruse the plano site. If you don't mind paying for it get proper igloo coolers. Can get em 4ft x 2ft and stackable. Superdurable, and water proof. But they would be $$$$

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Smaller stuff can be put in 5 gallon buckets. Restaurants and bakeries around here sell used food grade ones for a dollar. And don't overlook the 50 gallon plastic barrels that fruit juice and other liquids comes in they can be found with removable lids and are cheaper than a rubbermaid. Anything that is made to keep liquid in will also keep liquid out. :)

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Yah check craigslist. Only issue with used food grade buckets is they stink like what was in em so what ever you put in em will smell like that. I use em for gardening and they still smell so strong even after cleaning them with beach, and odorban. But good idea though. You can even buy lids for $1 at home depot if you can find new buckets cheap.