Need rechargeable battery packs.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It impossible to tell because they don't give an Ah rating for it. But at 13 lb and intended for lawnmower applications, it isn't going to have much capacity at all. In looking at similar size batteries at some other sites, they seem to mostly be in the 10 Ah capacity. At 50% drain per 12 hour period that would put your load in the 5 W range.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
about 2 to 4 weeks tops.

that is NOT a 175 Amp hour battery. zit is a small STARTING battery capable of supplying a max of 175 amps to a starter motor for a very short time.

a true 150 amp hour golf cart battery of mediocre quality will cost you about $200 for a single 6 volt unit. you will need at least two. These will state they are DEEP CYCLE Batteries, not starting batteries. If the specs contain the words "cranking amps", or "starting amps", they are not going to work as you expect for more than a very short time; days or maybe a week or two at best.

Again the batteries you require to do the year long job you are asking about will be $ EXPENSIVE $ AND LARGE AND VERY HEAVY.
How do you figure that this battery is going to last 2 weeks at the kind of draw that the TS is talking about? What does your 2 to 4 week number represent?

At 72 W, and if this is a 10 Ah battery, which is the best estimate I can make right now, then they would reach the 50% mark in less than an hour.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Okay, I'm guessing that you are trying estimate the life of the battery before it would need to be replaced, and not how long it would be able to sustain the TS's desired load.

psychlo0015

Joined May 26, 2015
Hey thank you kermit

I understand now. I'm a little frustrated however I have a new solution. Prior to coming up with this idea i was working on a thermo electric cooled pc for over clocking and came to conclusion that it would be easier to start out with a refrigeration unit. I could very easily take one of these units and turn it into an ice maker. All I would need to do is fill a chest with water and idle the car for a few hours or until the water is frozen. depending on the quality of the ice chest in my experience bags of ice have lasted for upt to 3 days when trying to park in shady cool places.

Best thing is that I wont need to buy anything since I already have an inverter and we even have a freezer that's being thrown away. (going to need to de-gas it so... I might be able to have a refrigeration tech come de-gas it for me)

Thanks a lot for the lessons guys

*edit

I see it as making better use of the energy produced while idling by storing it in water.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Okay, I'm guessing that you are trying estimate the life of the battery before it would need to be replaced, and not how long it would be able to sustain the TS's desired load.
I was posting from the 'phone' and trying to be brief. But yes, if a starting battery is used as a deep cycle battery then it would have a very short life since starting batteries have extremely thin plates and deep discharges do significant amounts of physical damage to them.
I wasn't going to go through the whole drawn out explanation of how starting batteries and deep cycle batteries differ, or try to estimate amp hour capacity on a starting battery. Almost pointless to give them an amp hour rating since any discharge deeper than 5 or 10% is going to begin to erode away the almost paper thin lead plates, and if used as designed, to give a short duration, but very large current they MUST immediately begin the recharging process, or again, significant damage is done to those fragile lead plates.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
+1

A high quality cooler and 10 lbs of ice could keep things chilly for 2 or 3 days. You might spend the same amount of money on ice in one year to almost purchase one deep cycle battery. :)

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Not to mention that, if you set things up correctly, you get high quality drinking water that is nice and cold.

But it seems like all of this basically comes down to spending a lot of time, money, and effort to enable you to live out of your car. Perhaps a better use of that time, money, and effort would be to find a way to avoid having to live out of your car.

psychlo0015

Joined May 26, 2015
I do like that nice clean freezing cold water from when i used to live in my car. I could drop a bag in there anyways but should probably put it in its own bag. and yes ive spent a lot of time and effort and money into a life that seems to be getting destroyed by everyone in my life for what ever reason that is. my only option to survive as competitive gamer is leave this city.

one. there are no lan centers in my city
two. i have no place to live
three. i have no way to get my own place and at the same time buy and maintain gaming equipment.

my life keeps taking turns for the worst but i recently got approved for ssi so I have what I need to get out of this lame city for good

psychlo0015

Joined May 26, 2015
I ordered two external covers to block heat from all of the windows and the roof. with this I should be able to reduce the time I need to idle to bellow the time I will be driving which will make this investment worth it. so far I'm in 60 for the freezer, 15 for the bathroom vent fan, and 10 for ducking. I use the fan to blow cold air from the ac the blow out from bellow my drivers seat directly over the compressor and the pipes that get hot increasing the efficiency of the freezer (gets colder inside faster reducing idle time even more).

Ive spent 100 on a mini freezer and increased its efficiency. Im also reducing the amount of gas required to power the freezer / fan to bellow what I burn driving around from place to place. Considering that a bag of ice runs you from 2-7 bucks a bag and can last from 1-3 days Im looking at a lot of extra money here. not to mention all the gas and time I save by not having to physically go and buy the ice.