Need Radar Made

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by NeedRadar1, Jan 13, 2013.

1. NeedRadar1

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    I was wondering where to go in order to get a (Sports) radar for swing speed made. Is this something that I would approach a university department about or is there a better way to do it? I need something that is good because all the ones on the market are not very accurate.

Any suggestions?

2. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    You would be better off purchasing a Ka band radar unit with the accuracy and precision required. The reason the cheap ones aren't very accurate since working with those frequencies (and interference) is far from a simple ordeal.

Design at 10Ghz (X-Band) to 40 Ghz (Ka Band) frequencies makes for difficult timing not to mention the analog side and generating the required frequencies. When working with 10 Ghz+ signals, an entire different set of rules in play than at hobbyist circuit level.

At those speeds both in linear and digital electronics the actual placement and layout determines/alters behavior as the signals act more like light than digital levels. You'll run into calculations such as micro-strip transmission lines on PC Boards, impedance matching, trace inductance issues, ground plane problems, and more.

You could get started with a GH100 X-Band Module and supporting electronics. The module handles all of the Ghz signals outputs kHz signals which can be used to detect motion, I'm unsure about speed capture accuracy, not having used one.
  3. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    As a lower-tech suggestion, you could probably make a floor mounted device with two vertical lasers (shining up) and detect the bat swing that way. It would be simple enough to design and the timed period between two events would probably give a higher accuracy than a radar doppler shift measurement.
  4. wayneh

Sep 9, 2010
    I agree beam-breaking is an easier and likely superior approach. If you're doing video swing analysis anyway, you could also use high speed video to estimate swing speed.
  5. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Swing speed of what? Baseball bat? Golf club?

One method to consider is to put two photodiodes on a platform a known distance apart and then use a light diffuser (frosted plexiglass works well) and a light source. Orient everything so that the object passes between the diffuser and the photodiodes. Then look for the spikes that result from the shadow of the object passing over the photodiodes. This approach should work just fine with something large and slow, since it works well with things that are small and fast, like bullets.