Need power adapter

gabisdaddi

Joined Jan 8, 2015
Hi! Boy was this type of forum hard to find...

Today I bought a gizmo that needs an ac power supply but didn't come with one. The power is for a small motor and a light bulb. The bulb is the same style as the old 6v lanterns.

I opened it up and the label on motor within has this info:
HL TYC50-12 syncronous motor
900 r/min 12v 60Hz

It's my hope that someone who's reading this can direct me on how to get the thing working.

FWIW, it's a gizmo that in the same vein as a lava lamp, but inside three liquids, one clear, one blue, one silvery white. The motor has a magnet disc atop it which 'connects' to a wheel in the globe with fins which circulates the liquids.

I'm hoping to put this in my daughter's room. She's almost five and she loves these types of things!

Thanks so much!

Paul

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You need what it says on the label, 12V AC. I'd use an old wall wart transformer that says the output is 12V AC. A 9V will likely work fine as well.

It looks like the wattage rating of the motor has been worn off the label. A few similar motors on line are <4W, so this thing needs up to ~400mA. Adding in the light, I think you should aim for at least a rating of 0.5A for your wall wart, whether it's 9V or 12V.

The one pictured here looks similar and needs only 2W, so you might get away with a bit less rating, if that matters.

Last edited:

gabisdaddi

Joined Jan 8, 2015
your wall wart
Thanks so much for the useful and quick reply.

As a side note, I've been around electronics all my life (I'm almost fifty). I worked at Radioshack for years in the early 1990's, and I was a computer tech on Wall Street in NYC.

I've never, ever, heard of a "wall wart" and had to look it up!

In doing so I found the article "How to Create a Power Supply out of a Wall Wart" at makezine.com.

Awesome :)

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The adapter you show is a DC adapter.
For the motor you will need an AC adapter.
Unfortunately, the value for the power has worn of the label.
You can still see the W symbol, but no value.

Bertus

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
This wall wart has been sitting unidentified on my desk for a few years. Disregarding the wrong adapter, isn't this what the device needs?
That's *almost* the correct one, but it is DC. I know that because after OUTPUT 12V it has what looks like an = sign, that's universal language for DC. AC looks like two tildas ~ stacked on top of one another, or is it one tilda over a line? Either way, you want a squigly line on the one you find.

EBay has tons of these. So many it can be hard to single out the one you want. China is cheap but takes longer then a US source. If I could wait I'd use a China source. I use them all the time without trouble, and even the US sources get their stuff there anyway.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
BTW it will only run at 900 rpm if you are in N.A. anywhere else that uses 50Hz it will run at 750rpm, being a AC synchronous motor.
Max.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I get all the Wall-Warts I could use at various Thrift Shops in Prescott, AZ. Habitat for Humanity has hundreds of the things, in all shapes, sizes, AC, DC, real iron transformers, SMPS, etc. They sell them for less than one-third of a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

I have been known to buy one that has the right plug on it, cut off the plug, throw the PS away, and then buy a second PS that has the right output voltage, and then splice on the plug from the first one. I'm still up to only 2/3 the price of a cup of coffee.

Last edited:

gabisdaddi

Joined Jan 8, 2015
...Adding in the light, I think you should aim for at least a rating of 0.5A for your wall wart, whether it's 9V or 12V.
Hey there. So I went to Radioshack yesterday with the gizmo and we found a wart without a tip, then found the appropriate tip for it (3.5mm, like for headphones). The thing was 1.5amps though. We turned it on and the light went on but the motor didn't start.

Could having a motor roughly three times the needed amps make the motor not work?

Of course it's plausible that it didn't work when I bought it at Goodwill, which is maybe why someone donated it.

I'd love to get this thing working though...

Continued thanks for info :)

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Yeah.. maybe the reason its at Goodwill!
At 900 rpm I am guessing it is a 8 pole motor and it will not be outputting 900rpm to the globe!!
Many of those motors quit because of the gear train wear or lack of lube, it may be worth opening up and checking the mechanism, if you can separate the motor from the gear train, you can see if it turns at 900rpm.
Max.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi! Boy was this type of forum hard to find...

Today I bought a gizmo that needs an ac power supply but didn't come with one. The power is for a small motor and a light bulb. The bulb is the same style as the old 6v lanterns.

I opened it up and the label on motor within has this info:
HL TYC50-12 syncronous motor
900 r/min 12v 60Hz

It's my hope that someone who's reading this can direct me on how to get the thing working.

FWIW, it's a gizmo that in the same vein as a lava lamp, but inside three liquids, one clear, one blue, one silvery white. The motor has a magnet disc atop it which 'connects' to a wheel in the globe with fins which circulates the liquids.

I'm hoping to put this in my daughter's room. She's almost five and she loves these types of things!

Thanks so much!

Paul
To leave in the hands of a kid - I'd buy a new one with the correct power supply, not bodge it!

These are pretty common in novelty shops, most of the ones I've seen have a 10 or 20W halogen lamp - with typical wall warts you might have laying around, even if you find an AC one with the right voltage - you'll soon find out whether the thermal fuse works or not!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Re-reading I see the motor is for swirling the effects, not rotate the globe!
So maybe it is direct drive at 900 rpm?
Those motors can usually stall with no ill effects, so it could just be lack of lube?
Max.

gabisdaddi

Joined Jan 8, 2015
it may be worth opening up and checking the mechanism, if you can separate the motor from the gear train, you can see if it turns at 900rpm.
This is far, Far, FAR, outside my ability. Maybe if I didn't have a four year old I could research and learn then do, but, no.

Just for the sake of asking ... I'm about 1.5 hours northwest of Philadelphia. Any of you out this way?