Need low current DC to sinewave AC inversion (battery power)

trinitrotoluene

Joined Nov 2, 2016
I was wondering if there's a circuit that will let me get some voltage (exact voltage isn't important) of sine wave output from a 9V battery designed for no more than about 50 mA, if that. The exact waveform isn't important, but it does need to have a negative bound, as in, if the amplitude is 100V, it needs to go to -100V and not to 0V (i.e. not mixed AC/DC). The wave itself can be dirty as long as I can get a halfway accurate voltage reading on a meter.

I tried using an EL-Wire inverter (which would be ideal), but they're designed for very specific load conditions and although I tried using a capacitor mimicking the capacitance of EL wire to keep the inverter happy, I still got the magic smoke. (though in retrospect I may not have limited the current enough.) In any case, I don't have time to get a new one and so I need to pull something together.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Generate a square wave ('555?) at 50/60 Hz and feed it into a mains transformer used backwards. You can decide what voltage you want by choice of transformer.

trinitrotoluene

Joined Nov 2, 2016
Mains transformer? Not sure I know what you mean. As in, a transformer normally used to step down voltage for AC to DC conversion run the other way?

trinitrotoluene

Joined Nov 2, 2016
You can run transformers backwards.

Well I know that much, but I was unfamiliar with the distinction of "mains transformer" when I Googled the phrase I didn't get anything except larger transformers for stepping down to household line voltages and some fascinating information about the characters of a popular property owned by Hasbro and made into several Michael Bay movies.