Need info on thermocouples/thermistors

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by z-man, May 9, 2009.

1. z-man

Thread Starter New Member

May 6, 2009
    To the group - I need to measure a maximum temperature of 225deg C, but the problem is that the area being monitored is a glass/metal seal, and the metal surface has a ~3500VDC potential on it (vacuum tube). I can't really have a direct contact probe, so I was thinking about an IR detector. Can anyone point me to a webpage that may explain how this will work and/or show a schematic of how it's done? I'd also like to connect the temperature probe signal to an LM3914 to have a bargraph readout of probably ~150DEG C, but I'll work on that once I find a component that can give me my voltage to input to the chip. Any suggestions on how to measure this high temperature safely around 3500 volts?

2. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    A non contact thermometer is a good choice. Ialmost remember one for around US$ 35. @??, maybe it was Harbor Freight. If found, hacking might be a problem. There are a good number of IR detector elements on the market, like flake thermisters, boolometers, & silicon based detectors.Maybe help will be forthcoming from the groop.

3. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    I stopped in at Harbor Frt. and yes they had 3 models , from US $ 10. to $ 38, good to 900 deg F, one with LED pointer.