Need ideas for a cheap but effective locating system

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I had no idea chickens were trainable. I learn something new every day. How do you train a chicken BTW?
We supervised the chickens when they were young. When they ventured from our property, we would round them up and clap our hands to herd them in the direction we wanted them to go.

We did the same thing with our indoor cats, except we just snap our fingers. We don't even have to say their name. If they hear snapping and know they're doing something "bad", they generally stop. To get the cats to stay in our yard, I snap. If that doesn't work, I say their name sternly and clap. That usually sends them running for the deck.

If a cat goes out a door and wasn't invited, I get them and carry them back in the house. Most times, I can open a slider to let our two siamese cats on the deck. I can call them back in the house just by saying their names and then have them follow me out the utility room door. It takes time and patience to train animals, but the rewards are huge.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
She who chooses not to control the dogs complains that she didn't control the dogs.
She who chooses not to control the dog, chooses not to do so because she is busy controlling the children, who have opposable thumbs. The complexity of (and therefore the complexity involved in controlling) any creature with opposable thumbs is orders of magnitude higher than those with paws. So I give her a pass on not attending to the dog. When I get home, I unwind him from all the obstacles he's gotten himself tethered to and free him from the resultant 1ft radius prison he's entrapped himself in.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I considered going through the culvert as well, but that leaves exposed wire coming out of the ground. In my experience, exposed wire coming out of the ground has a supernatural extra-magnetic attraction to weedeaters and mowers.
True, but a few $1 pieces of PVC conduit will solve those problems.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
We supervised the chickens when they were young. When they ventured from our property, we would round them up and clap our hands to herd them in the direction we wanted them to go.

We did the same thing with our indoor cats, except we just snap our fingers. We don't even have to say their name. If they hear snapping and know they're doing something "bad", they generally stop. To get the cats to stay in our yard, I snap. If that doesn't work, I say their name sternly and clap. That usually sends them running for the deck.

If a cat goes out a door and wasn't invited, I get them and carry them back in the house. Most times, I can open a slider to let our two siamese cats on the deck. I can call them back in the house just by saying their names and then have them follow me out the utility room door. It takes time and patience to train animals, but the rewards are huge.
Alright, now I know you're pulling my leg. You can train chickens, AND CATS? I call bullshit.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
I considered going through the culvert as well, but that leaves exposed wire coming out of the ground. In my experience, exposed wire coming out of the ground has a supernatural extra-magnetic attraction to weedeaters and mowers.

Agreed!! He has to be careful..

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Alright, now I know you're pulling my leg. You can train chickens, AND CATS? I call bullshit.
It's really true. One of our outdoor cats (neighbor cat who adopted us when she was still a kitten) became frail and I wanted to have her become a house cat. The problem was that some stray cats had adopted us and started living in the garage with her and she stopped using the litter box. I had to retrain her to use the litter box at age 16. She's been a house cat for a year now.

I even took to training my neighbors dogs; mainly because they either couldn't or wouldn't.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I should add some clarification.

We don't let our chickens out of the barn all day. We let them out 3-4 hours before they would normally put themselves away so they don't get bored and wander off. We also don't let them out unless we have the time to check on them from time to time and respond to any calls for help; we have a dog, coyote, and raccoon problem.

We don't let our 2 siamese cats out unsupervised. One can be out for around an hour or so because she'll zone out on some critter hole. The "alpha" siamese needs to be supervised at all times. She's like a toddler and will wander, but if someone is with her, she'll behave.

The outdoor cats can be out whenever they want. They adopted us, so they stay around our house by choice. Excepting the stray male who was almost feral when he adopted us. He used to wander and be gone for days at a time, but he's mostly tame now (for me) and generally stays around our property. If he's not in the garage by the time I close the doors, I leave the deck light on for him and he usually waits by the door to be let in. He adopted us because we took his mother/sister/pack mate to the shelter with some kittens and ended up adopting her because we thought they might euthanize her. He was still hanging around and decided he was going to live where she lived.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I had no idea chickens were trainable. I learn something new every day. How do you train a chicken BTW? Every chicken training scenario that comes to mind is comical; Harshly scolding a chicken, swatting a chicken with newspaper, putting a shock collar on a chicken, blasting chickens with a firehose, the list goes on.
Just show him a can of Campbell's Chicken Soup.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
@GopherTWe, "hose" pipes and wires under concrete, but traffic sensors are installed all over America with a concrete saw.:(
Many street intersections have cameras nowadays for traffic sensing. Maybe WiFi cameras on tall poles with solar panels and image recognition software?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Many street intersections have cameras nowadays for traffic sensing. Maybe WiFi cameras on tall poles with solar panels and image recognition software?
If strantor installs cameras with image recognition, he will still need something else. What do you have in mind that will happen after the cameras and computers recognize that the dog is leaving?

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
If strantor installs cameras with image recognition, he will still need something else. What do you have in mind that will happen after the cameras and computers recognize that the dog is leaving?
Send an email or text saying "No! Stay!" to his dog. ;)

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
I had thought of something similar, e.g. a broken beam plus proximity system on poles at intervals round the perimeter so if the beam is broken and the dog is near the perimeter then the collar is activated but I figured it was all getting a bit too complicated and prone to false triggering.

A physical fence/dog run sounds a lot simpler and easier.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I had thought of something similar, e.g. a broken beam plus proximity system on poles at intervals round the perimeter so if the beam is broken and the dog is near the perimeter then the collar is activated but I figured it was all getting a bit too complicated and prone to false triggering.

A physical fence/dog run sounds a lot simpler and easier.
Simple and easy was not in the list of requirements for this project.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
All the nails are in the coffin.
I bit the bullet and bought this and this. I bought one of these to cut through the concrete.
I'll lay the wire on the ground for now, and in a couple weeks once the wound on my wallet has healed, I'll rent one of these to bury the wire.