Need help

John T

Joined Jun 1, 2014
I need help and I think eltronics is the the answer.
I have a caravan that has a aluminum frame and insulated with fibreglass on the outsides and inside and very good insulation foam in-between.
When it gets cold the cold travels through the aluminium (great conductor) and causes condensation on the inside of the van (drips water) on beding in cupboards ect ext.
I think the only way to prevent this problem is to send a current through the frame to cause heat (like a car demister in the rear window) and stop the conensation problem.
So do you think a voltage / amperage regulator wold work ??
The van has 450watts of solar and 360 amps of battery power.
Naturaly the problems is only when it is cold and the humidity is high. so would also need to be on a timer and draw low voltage/ amperage.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Doesn't seem safe or practical. IMO

The hundreds of amps required would cause heating in the connections and cabling. It would also be hard to control the heating effect to the correct locations.

A heating cable as used in ceiling and floors may help, but would have to be installed during construction.

A dehumidifier seems more efficient.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
An electric air conditioner or dehumidifier would take less power than your suggestion.

You could also try to make sure the caravan is cool and the warm humid air is well vented out before closing the windows for the evening. Repeat daily.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
There is a resistance wire called a mullion heater. It is used in refrigerators to keep the bar between the freezer and the refrigerator from "sweating". You have to install them before the outside covering is installed and they have to be on every piece of metal that sweats. I think the Terms of Service would prohibit designing something like that on this forum because a mistake can cause a fire (death). Besides, it isn't practical for something that large.

Please consider adding a layer of insulation over each wet place. It's safer, cheaper, and it works.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Ventilation will be much more energy efficient than heating.

You can get heat-exchanger ventilators, using a small fan and clever heat transfer (passive) so the heat stays int he caravan even though there is lots of air flow.

It will be also better for breathing... And breathing is good!