Need help!

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by MrWess, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrWess

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Hey, new to the site.
    I am trying to do some wiring on my motorcycle. I am trying to wire up a stock speedometer sensor, which is basically a powered magnet, that reads when a piece of metal passes by, to an aftermarket speedometer. The aftermarket speedometer uses a two wire positive and negative setup attached to a sensor, when a magnet passes by it closes the loop, causing a pulse to go to the speedometer. I can't test the stock sensor, because I have no hook up for it, but I pulled a page from a shop manual that shows how to test it. It looks like its meant to have 12v, which would make sense. I put a volt meter on the wires coming off of the aftermarket sensor, and they were reading about 6v.
    The aftermarket sensor is two wires, coming straight from the speedometer. The stock sensor I am trying to hook up to has three wires. Two of them go directly to the stock speedometer (BL/R, and BL) and a B/W wire which is definitely a ground. I will add a couple pics of the wiring diagrams that I am working with, though the pic for the stock sensor is just explaining how to test the sensor, I am guessing it is better than nothing.

So far I have tried hooking the B/R from the stock sensor up to the red (+) of the aftermarket speedometer, and the B from stock up to the white (-) from the AM speedometer, and hooked the B/W directly to a good ground. Nothing happened at all. Not sure if maybe the 6v coming from the speedometer is not enough to power the 12v sensor?

Thanks for any help you can give, I am kind of in over my head on this one. ha.

Aftermarket sensor wiring outlined in red.

Sock sensor directions for testing.
  2. wayneh

Sep 9, 2010
    Nice post, but you should have read the terms of service.
  3. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
  4. bertus

Apr 5, 2008

I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

6. Restricted topics.

The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
    • Automotive modifications
    • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
    • LEDs to mains
    • Phone jammers
    • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
    • Transformer-less power supplies
    This comes from our Tos:
    Terms of Service
    There will be enough sites where automotive questions can be discussed :
    Member selected automotive forums

Thread Status: