Need help

aravindhoysala

Joined Aug 6, 2008
Hello all,
I was using a external DVD writer with adaptor rating :
Input : 100-240V~
Output :5V DC1.5A(1.5A)
12V DC 1.5A(1.5A)

recently its got blown off, I got another adoptor with same connector but with different rating,its ratings are as below:
Input: 100-240V~
Output :5V DC 4.2A
12 V DC 3A

Can i use this adopter ? please help me :) ,
Thanks .

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
Do you understant why the adapter blew up! The ratings on the dead adapter were all that your DVD writer required to operate properly. It will draw the current required at any given time up to the max ratings on the dead adapter. Thus, the second adapter is indeed capable of powering your external DVD writer. As long as the adapter doesn't mention that those ratings are a constant output then it should be fine. Using a 2A fuse on each line would be much safer though. You wouldn't waht to make a hot plastic ball out of your DVD writer.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
recently its got blown off
I just thought this needed a little more attention. ;)

Dont blow anything off!

As for your adapter, as mentioned above, as long as the voltage is matched, the device will DRAW the required current.

aravindhoysala

Joined Aug 6, 2008
Thanks iONic & retched for replay,.

recently its got blown off,
Thanks .
during rainy day ,when power went & came back including my coffee maker DVD r/w adopter gone bad,it may be due to power fluctuation(I think so)

Using a 2A fuse on each line would be much safer though. You wouldn't waht to make a hot plastic ball out of your DVD writer.
How to alter an adopter,as it is moulded ?

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
Thanks iONic & retched for replay,.

during rainy day ,when power went & came back including my coffee maker DVD r/w adopter gone bad,it may be due to power fluctuation(I think so)
That's sounds very reasonable and is a good indication that a surge protector outlet would be helpful.

How to alter an adopter,as it is moulded ?
Without knowing your elecronics experience level It may be more dangerous to make modifications that to just leave it alone. You will be fine with it "as is." The DVD writer will draw the current it needs and no more. I would still reccomend a surge protector outlet for these devices.

aravindhoysala

Joined Aug 6, 2008
That's sounds very reasonable and is a good indication that a surge protector outlet would be helpful.

Yes i was looking for one such project.

Without knowing your elecronics experience
I did 3 year Diploma(E&c) during year 97,but i got job in IT field ,hence i remember little about electronics. it will be great help if u give any suggestion/idea regardig surge protector .

Thanks