Need help with volume control for circuit.

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by johnnyinwa, Nov 26, 2013.

1. johnnyinwa

Thread Starter Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Hello,

Please refer to the attached schematic for this question. I built the circuit exactly as described in the enclosed schematic and it works great. The only problem is that I need to add a volume control for the speaker output. I was thinking of using a 2n2222 npn transistor as an amplifier and a 5k variable resistor to adjust the sound.
    I was hoping you could assist me by posting a schematic with the solution and explaining how your fix works. Thank you for your time with this question. :confused:

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
  3. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Depending on where it is placed, variable resistors in volume control applications usually call for a logarithmic pot rather than linear type.
    Max.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Wait. I get it. You intend to use the single ended output option with a coupling capacitor to drive a 2N2222. Right?

Just put an audio taper volume control between the coupling capacitor and the transistor.

5. Dodgydave

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 22, 2012
    According to the datasheet page 4, you can use a single output pin on the ic for lower volume, with a dc blocking capacitor in series with your speaker to ground, the ic gives four times the volume using its complimentary +/- pins,so you could use this method..

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013