need help with this circuit

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

@SgtWookie.
As I see it pin 6 (at the bottom) is open
and pin 4 of the NE555 (at the left, above pin 2) is also connected to the nand.

Also the information on the IR detectors is missing as you noticed.

Bertus

PS we must have crossposted.

KMK

Joined Feb 11, 2010
all i can say is they are theose old fashioned ir sensors, kind of ones used to convert old TV's to remote controlled ones.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Hello,

@SgtWookie.
As I see it pin 6 (at the bottom) is open
(slaps forehead with palm)
In my best Homer Simpson voice; "dOH!"

I misread the "4" as "6", as it could have been interpreted as either, and many schematics show pins 2/6 in the relationship that our OP has shown. I completely missed pin 6. :rolleyes:

and pin 4 of the NE555 (at the left, above pin 2) is also connected to the nand.
Yep, the output of the NAND.

Also the information on the IR detectors is missing as you noticed.

Bertus

PS we must have crossposted.
We did indeed! That seems to happen frequently around here... no worries. ;)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
It appears that you are trying to use the 555 timer as a set/reset flip-flop.

You have two IR receivers. If they are salvaged receivers with no part numbers on them, you will not know what their frequency is, or if they even have a frequency.

Since they seem to be affected by ambient light, they may very well be the "dumb" receivers that will respond to anything. In that case, they will be useless for what you have in mind - without a lot of extra circuitry.

More modern IR receivers are tuned to a specific frequency, usually in a range of around 36kHz to 44kHz; 38kHz being typical. They "look" for data on a carrier frequency. You need to transmit a series of "mark" pulses at their frequency, and then a series of spaces. The marks and spaces at the receivers' frequency eliminates the false triggering from ambient lighting, as these modern IR receivers have built-in automatic gain control.

Someone posted a link to a workable schematic to make a "dumb" IR receiver a bit smarter awhile back (maybe 6-12 months ago), but I can't recall who the poster was, nor the link. They wanted someone to explain it to them, which I did. It had automatic gain control for the input signal to effectively eliminate ambient lighting.

Maybe I'll remember the link in a bit.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

How are the two IR recievers placed?
Is there a "wall" between them?

If there is no "wall" between them both will be activated and the output will be unsure.

Bertus

KMK

Joined Feb 11, 2010
hi burtus,
the idea behind using the nand gates is to cut the outpot of one of the IR recivers so that a wall is not necessary.

KMK

Joined Feb 11, 2010
thanks for link, Sgt wookie.

Good news guys. Ifinally found the part #s for the ir sensors.
I have 3 different sensors as folows :
v69 706 TSOP.1238
HSOD38 A5 712
V69 635 TSOP.1736.

i hope this information will be helpful to you guys & then we can get thei working better. :)