Joined Sep 23, 2009
I want to build a small model solar tracker. For this rig I need:

1x Stepper Motor
1x Stepper Motor Controller
8x Light Sensors
1x Microcontroller

4x small solar cells
Rig will be made with Plexiglas.

Can someone please help me find the stepper motor & controller, light sensors, and microcontroller that compatible with each other. Please help me find ones that are low cost and preferably made by the same company.

Thanks,
Mike

mikeknight

Joined Sep 23, 2009
I plan on putting 8 light sensors surrounding 180 degrees around the solar tracker. So the solar panels will turn to the sensor that senses the most light. If you know a better way to do this please let me know.

Also if you can get me links for the step motor & controller, light sensor, and microcontroller that are low cost and work together.

Thanks,
Mike

mikeknight

Joined Sep 23, 2009
Thanks for the idea, but i really want to program a microcontroller. If you could help me find the above supplies, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Charles

mikeknight

Joined Sep 23, 2009
I don't have a microcontroller, that's why I'm looking for one. If you could help me find the supplies listed above, that would be great. I would really like to make the solar tracker.

Thanks,
Mike

mikeknight

Joined Sep 23, 2009
It will only move on the x-axis, because the panel will be fixed @ 36 degrees. It will face east and move west along with the sun.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
You only need to track in one axis. If the plane the solar cells swing in is tilted to the local latitude, the sun will always be at the same apparent altitude. Look at the explanation of an equatorial mount - http://science.howstuffworks.com/telescope5.htm

Any photocell will o.d. with direct sunlight. You will need filters.

It may seem spiffy to actually track the sun, but adjusting the azimuth every so often will be just as good. Learning to run a stepper motor is good experience, though.

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
You only need to track in one axis. If the plane the solar cells swing in is tilted to the local latitude, the sun will always be at the same apparent altitude. Look at the explanation of an equatorial mount - ..................
This only true if you align the azimuth and elevation at the start of each day.
The equatorial mount cannot take seasonal changes of elevation into account. However this being somewhat pedantic and single plane tracking is good enough for most solar panel applications.

gloreix

Joined May 18, 2012
Hiya everyone, I want to build a dual axis sun tracker with micro-controller, and also with stepper motor. I just need circuit chematics of the board. Who wants to help me urgently. I will use 2 bipolar stepper motors, and the pic 16F877A.. Please help me.