Need help with RLC circuit please

difx0

Joined Apr 5, 2010
Have this question that is part of my school assignment. Finished all the others but this is just beyond me.

To do with RLC Circuits as from the research I have done on the web, there are many similar problems but not quite like mine.

Can anyone help please.

From the circuit above...

Calculate the following parameters for the circuit above, VL , VC, VR1 and VR2.

Also Calculate the current IL, IR1, IC and IR2.

And finally determine the phase angle between the supply voltage and current flowing in R2.

If anyone can help me with even one of the answers, would be VERY grateful.

difx0

Joined Apr 5, 2010
I do know about rectangular and polar math, however I am not sure how to solve these still, what formulas to use etc :(

can anyone please work out one of the unknowns that is asked for?

Would be very very greateful

Engr

Joined Mar 17, 2010
For the capacitor the capacitive reactance is -jXc while for the inductor the inductive reactance is jXL. Xc can be calculated using this formula Xc=1/(2*pi*f*C) while XL can be calculated using this formula XL=2*pi*f*L. If you already have this values solve the total resistance first. Using the Xc and XL values the total resistance can be solved using the formula when solving the total resistance of a resistor, the only difference is that you will be using the rectangular and polar math when solving the total resistance.

difx0

Joined Apr 5, 2010
That does help, but can someone please work out the Total Impedence of the circuit for me. (The Z Value)

would be very much appreciated

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
That does help, but can someone please work out the Total Impedence of the circuit for me. (The Z Value)

would be very much appreciated
Replace the C1 with \(\frac{1}{sC}\). You now have two "resistors" in series, Req1=R2+\(\frac{1}{sC}\).

Req1 is in parallel with R1. Req2=\(\frac{R1*Req1}{R1+Req1}\)

Replace L1 with sL. Now you have two "resistors" in series, sL+Req2. This sum is the total resistance of the circuit, Z.

s=jω
ω=2πf
f=1000 Hz