Need help with rewiring a AC adaptor connector...

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by thewonton, Jan 6, 2011.

1. thewonton

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 6, 2011
    I just recently discovered this forum and was hoping I could get some help. I guess I should start off by mentioning that by no means am I an electronics expert.

I have an AC adapter for a J-Station amp modeling unit with the following specs...

Harman Pro Group
    Model: PS0920-120
    Input: 120V AC 60Hz 34w
    Output: 9V AC @ 2.1 A

The end that connects to the unit has broken off. (The end opposite the outlet plug.) Up until that point the power supply was working fine. I stripped the end off and there are two wires (red and white). What I'm wanting to know is, rather than buying a whole new power supply (which seems like a huge waste), there has to be a way of wiring a new connector. Since I've never done that before, I was hoping someone could offer some direction. I've done basic home wiring (outlets, lights, etc...) and have experience wiring network cables. However, I'm by no means an expert. Any suggestions on how to go about this...

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    1) go buy a new connector.
    2) use your ohm meter to find which wire goes to which part of the old connector.
    3) solder the good wires to the new connector.
    4) tighten the plastic cap.
    5) Plug it in.

3. thewonton

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 6, 2011
    Thanks for the reply. It sounds pretty straigtforward. Can you ellaborate on step 2 any? Thanks again!

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Well, judging by your location (no location at all) I would say that Harbor Freight sells cheap multimeters for $4 ($3 on sale!). You will need an ohm meter, which is a kind of continuity meter, which is part of a cheap multimeter, to see which color wire goes to the tip of the old connector and which color wire goes to the shank of the old connector. Then do thusly with the new connector.

5. eblc1388

Nov 28, 2008
    Step 2 is definitely required for wiring a DC output connector.

This is how you would proceed. Strips some plastic covering off the cable end of the old connector until you can see the color of the wires(red/white). Now test the continuity between the wire copper core to the business end of the connector and locate the position where there is continuity(low or near zero ohms on the meter). You would then connect the same colored wire to the new connector to reproduce the same configuration.

For wiring 9V AC output to a connector, I would say just wire it up either way and it will work, if you don't have a multimeter at hand.

However, its handy to have a multimeter around at home if you don't already does and check out the connector wiring properly.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Oh...you said AC. No problem. Either wire to either pin on the new end.