Need help with PCB Board I dont understand

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by hunterage2000, Sep 27, 2012.

1. hunterage2000

Thread Starter Active Member

May 2, 2010
    I have a PCB Board that I dont understand how I can solder on to it. I Haven’t got an image of it but it is brown on both sides. Usually I have a PCB board which is light brown on 1 side and the other has copper strips on the other where it is soldered. Can anyone tell me what this is?

2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Does it have solder pads or just the crappy phenolic with a grid of holes in it for "wire-wrap" applications?

3. hunterage2000

May 2, 2010
    not sure what it is, but both sides are dark-brown. No copper strips just plastic both sides.

4. paulktreg

Distinguished Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Don't knock wire wrap. The Apollo space program may have never started without it! ;)

shortbus likes this.
  5. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    does it have a grid of holes? any holes at all?
    do those holes have solder pads around them?
    If yes to #1 and #3 then the intention is that you can use un-insulated wire to "create" the traces or simply use wire-wrap instead of soldering.

6. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Heck no.. Its an amazing process and still used all the time even today.
    Frankly I will do wire-wrap over soldering to those pieces of crappy radio shack PCB strip boards any day.
    Of course its SO cheap to actually get a PCB made now that if I need to make something I get a real PCB.. I don't know why anyone even does the toner transfer stuff anymore either.. Its a silly waste of time unless you need something really quick and I'd still do it "OG wire wrap style"

I can do the PCB layout in diptrace and get REAL boards in 2 weeks for just a couple bucks a piece. Gotta love China.. :)

7. hunterage2000

May 2, 2010
    no solder pads, just a grid holes. Never seen one before and never heard of wire-wrap before. So how does it work then?

8. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009