Need help with PCB based circut

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by mongoose711, Sep 4, 2009.

1. mongoose711

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 4, 2009
  2. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    Welcome to AAC.
    Unfortunately the pix are too blurry.

3. mongoose711

Sep 4, 2009
    Are there any specific components I need to look for that are used in latching circuits normally?
    I will try to post better pics later.

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Use a meter and yur eyes - trace the foil from the button to an IC. Get the data sheet for the IC. Once you have figured out what the IC does, you can determine if that latched the PB signal, or debounced it and sent the clean signal to another IC. The you get that IC's data sheet.

It is very likely that the one and only IC of importance is a microprocessor. The all the business is done according to the program. You usually can't get at the internal code.

5. mongoose711

Sep 4, 2009
    let me give you guys a little more detail. I don't need to find the section of the circuit that causes the latching, I need to find the latched section that activates/ deactivates the relay.

6. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    Oh sh_t, I really do have to get to the optometrist! It looked like a relay to me! :D :eek:

7. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    Thank God, I'm not going blind. There really is a relay there! I feel better now.:D

8. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    Most manufacturers silk screen the pin-out of their relays on the case. Did you look? If not, here's a clue.. The control portion (coil) of the relay won't be going to your load. ;)

Edit: I forgot to mention that unless the controlling device has an integral protection diode you should see a diode on the board. The coil will be across the diode.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  9. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Aside from the relay, there must be a pushbutton or switch. From the OP -
    The contacts have to lead somewhere...

10. mongoose711

Sep 4, 2009