Need help with motor.

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by oldbug, Jan 5, 2013.

1. oldbug

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Hi folks. Im a total noob from norway, Im a mechanic and in desperate need of some help.
    I appologize if my english is rubbish!:)

I have a motor im planning to use in a lathe but the connector/junction block has been removed before i got it!!

My problem is that cant find out how to wire it, or if it eeds capacitor or anything, as i said im a noob at this!

I have gotten the motor to run but wanna be sure i do this right, hope somebody can help me:p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As far as i can see this motor is 1phase??

2. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    Yes it needs a cap. You could try to contact the manufacturer. There are some for sale on ebay, try to ask the seller.

From their data booklet.

"Single-phase constant-speed motors are available in the
    frame sizes 71 to 90 and in power sizes up to and including
    2.2 kW.
    • Single-phase MG 71 and MG 80 with run capacitor up
    to 35 μF incorporated in the terminal box."

3. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    What size lathe? Unless it's a watch-maker's lathe, that motor seems undersized.

4. oldbug

Jan 5, 2013
    :p Thanx for your replies, its nice to be able to contact experts!
    I guess i just put this motor back on the shelf if its uderpowered!
    Im building a pretty big woodturning lathe, its mostly for small work like goblets,vases,plates and bowls but i wanna be able to turn big to!;)

i have another motor in my garage to, its from a big old metal cutting saw! the motor is very big and is 3 phase. Its 1,3kw

I cant use this either couse i dont have 3phase in my garage :(

I guess the search continues! Again Thanx allot!!:D

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  5. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    well it might be good for a small-ish wood lathe. I was thinking metal lathe.

6. oldbug

Jan 5, 2013
    oh ok, if i decide to use this temporary, is there any way to work out how to wire it without having to order original junction box? i got one from a friend that fits with a little modification.

is this possible or just stupid?

Thanx again for the help! This is a great forum!
    i have never been that intrested in electronics but that changed when i found this site! Allot of readig to do!!:p

7. oldbug

Jan 5, 2013
    [​IMG]

When i connect green, i get power the motor goes quite fast
    when i connect blue it seems like it goes a little slower?

are they suposed to be connected at the same time?

do i have to get a capacitor? if i do how big?

and i have read how to connect capacitor to a 3phase when using it 1phase power, but how do i connect it here?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  8. oldbug

Jan 5, 2013
    Anyone know?btw: Is the cap only for starting?

9. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    According to the name plate shown in your first post, you need a 16mF/400VAC capacitor. The heavy wires will be the run winding and the fine wires will be the start winding. Can you show a full picture of the motor and also let us know if there is some kind of switch inside the motor (start switch)? Some are internal and some are mounted to the case and driven by a stub shaft.

10. cuyler1

May 27, 2015
    i used those grunfos pump motors back in the 1980's . they pumped water through the solar panels and back into a water heater in an isolated loop. what are the dimensions of this motor? then i can tell you more.

11. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Legacy thread!;)
    Max.

12. cuyler1

May 27, 2015
    yeah i know but the guy might still have it and i got tickled by strantors input might be good for a watchmakers lathe.i remember in the sales pitch for these solar units as people would say "well it still uses electricity" and the salesman replied "yes but only as much as a 40 watt light bulb". grunfos still sale those little pump motors for around $100