NEED HELP WITH MAKING SOMETHING ABLE TO CHARGE

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by JamesBroi, Apr 14, 2015.

1. JamesBroi

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Hello everyone! I have a serious necessity that I need help with...

I have a device that I need to plug into the wall. It's like a solder iron. But I don't want to be limited to the wall outlet. I need to make a battery that is able to be recharged and is able to provide at least 1 and up to 4 hours of use at full 800 degree temperature.

There must be a way to make this. I can connect it, I just need to know how make a battery and where to connect the wires.

I uploaded pics of the connections I have to deal with right now. It's a simple ac plug.

Please let me know if you know anything that can help me or if you know anyone that would be able to and could point me in the right direction! Thank you!!!!

James

2. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    The best you can do is understand that a car battery sized battery will be required. If you are using a car battery, simply go to walmart or pepboys and buy a 12 volt 100 watt inverter for $20. That will allow you to plug most reasonably sized soldering irons into the inverter and you will have your 120vAC needed for the soldering iron.

If, on the other hand, you were hoping to use AA sized batteries, I cannot change the laws of physics.

http://t.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DECKER-120-Watt-Power-Inverter-PI120P/205431825/

3. JamesBroi

Apr 14, 2015
    Definitely not hoping for AA's lol.
    A car battery is a bit excessive. That's made to power a car on a single use. I just want one to 3 hours of use on my device. Then once it's dead, you'd just need to charge it and you're good to go again.
    I'm imaging a battery pack the size of a deck of cards that could be wired to the inside of the component in the picture I posted. It's the AC power socket (all the way to the right).
    Like a cell phone, it could be charging and used while plugged in and when disconnected from the cord it would stay on till battery dies or it's turned off.

Thank you! And any more help would be so greatly appreciated!

4. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    How much power does your device require? A battery the size of a brick will give around 80 Watt hours. Inverter might run at 70% efficiency.

Getting a battery pack the size of a deck of cards will be tough. And you're still going to need an inverter.

5. JamesBroi

Apr 14, 2015
    Honestly I'm not sure how to determine how much power my device requires... If I posted a pic of the components would you be able to determine? I just have a PID temperature controller wired to an Solid State Relay, 5 pin Male XLR connector, rocker switch and the AC connector shown in picture I posted before.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    None of those things will produce 800 degrees. What size is the heater?

7. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    We have not been told the wattage yet, (just 800 degrees like a soldering iron), if it is just a point of heat, I think a 25 to 50 watt soldering iron can do it just fine. But, any more than a point source,and I am done here.

8. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    What do you plan on plugging into those connectors, is it something you made?, help us to help you...

JamesBroi likes this.
  9. JamesBroi

Apr 14, 2015
    Here is the wiring of what I'm trying to make the portable battery for.

10. JamesBroi

Apr 14, 2015
    What do you plan on plugging into those connectors, is it something you made?, help us to help you...[/QUOTE]

Here's a picture of the device I built and how it's wired. It heats up the coil up to 1,000 degrees but I only need 800 of them. As far as the amount of power used, I just need to know how to calculate that and I'll get it to you asap!

Thank you guys for helping me figure this out!

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    OK. The COIL heats up to 800 degrees. If this thing eats 50 watts for 4 hours, you will need about 20 amp hours of 12 volt battery. That is 20% the size of a car battery, not a deck of cards.

JamesBroi likes this.
  12. JamesBroi

Apr 14, 2015
    That's not a bad size at all! I just checked out those batteries. How would I go about connecting this? Could I connect it straight inside my unit that way it could be used like a cellphone battery (i.e. Able to be charging and used when plugged in and when unplugged it still remains on). Or would I need to plug my existing device into this new battery?

13. JamesBroi

Apr 14, 2015
    So I guess I just need to know how to connect this 12 volt 18 Ah rechargeable battery to my device as discreet as possible...

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Here's an idea.

JamesBroi likes this.