Need Help with making Basketball Scoreboard (Count Down Timer and Scorekeeper)

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Mgl.Mogul, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Mgl.Mogul

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Hello, I need help in designing a schematic for Basketball scoreboard for my Digital Systems Class. I am thinking that the basketball scoreboard should basically be something like this: scoreboard that has time that starts from and/or resets to 12:00 minutes. The time will decrease from 12:00 minutes and it can be paused at any time. I am thinking clock can be function generator or LM555 chip. There will be a quarter numbers from 1 to 4 as well as which team has the possession of the ball. It will display how many timeouts left from each team starting from 6 and how many fouls each team has. Last but not least, the scoreboard will have the score of each time that each has 3 digits as most basketball games can go over 100 points. I am going to use 7 segment display, 74LS47N, 74LS192N for the countdown timer from 12 minutes and 7 segment display, 74LS47N, 74LS83N along with bunch of switches to make the digital scorekeeper.
    I have took a picture of the schematics I've done on MultiSIM 11 so far but I don't know how to fix it in order to get every functions I want on the scorekeeper circuit and the countdown timer circuit.
    Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

2. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    Your schematic consists of circuits for both the "A" team and the "B" team. I would just draw the circuits for one team as the other team should be somehow similar. And that would make the schematic less complicated.

May be you should make a block diagram and label the schematic with dual 2-digit-7-seg-display as "Timer Block" with inputs and outputs clearly labelled. The other block can be named as "Score keeper block". And the control switches can be drawn outside the smaller blocks.

For the score keeper, you used DIP switches (8-way) as your inputs and I think that would be very difficult for the operator to enter the scores. For me I think a small keypad with a few buttons like "+", "-", "1","2","3","ENTER" should be enough just to keep it simple.

Since this is a school project, I wouldn't recommend using a MCU even though it would add some intelligence to the system. May be after you master the skill on MCU.

Allen

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  3. Mgl.Mogul

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 5, 2012
    I don't think there is a small keypad that I can use at school and even if there was one, i have no idea how to use one in this circuit. and What you mean by MCU?
    For some reason both my schematics aren't working as of right now. Dont know what the problems are