need help with making a 24v DC motor dual use

Johnny Gadget

Joined Mar 22, 2016
building a gas powered bicycle, the kind you peddle and pop the clutch and go, i have a 24v DC motor that I want to implement into the drive chain, I will be using two 12v 17amp batteries, and a thumb type throttle, to use as a forward assist so peddling will not be necessary ! once the motor is running on it's own, I need that forward motion to then drive the DC motor to keep my batteries charged, first of all, even though this sounds real good on paper, is this even possible, and or feasible ? thanks in advance ! new to this forum, here exclusively for this purpose.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You mentioned gas power, so it sounds possible. More of a motorcycle though. Why not just use the electric motor to start the gas engine? Either way, sounds complex.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Cars do this every day. A battery starts the gas engine, the motor turns an alternator, and the alternator charges the battery. The only difference here is that you want to use the starter motor for an alternator.

Johnny Gadget

Joined Mar 22, 2016
Cars do this every day. A battery starts the gas engine, the motor turns an alternator, and the alternator charges the battery. The only difference here is that you want to use the starter motor for an alternator.
Yes that is what I want to do ! I am in need of circuit possibilities for sufficiently charging the batteries with the forward motion, I am in need of info in order to isolate the battery power from powering the 24v motor and allowing the DC 24 volt motor back feed into the batteries from the forward motion, my problem is, unlike the alternator this will be driving something where the alternator is passive from another drive source and only supplies voltage

Johnny Gadget

Joined Mar 22, 2016
this motor
Unite MY1016 24V
is 4" dia. 3" front to back and says unite motor co ltd.would not know the difference from the above mentioned

Johnny Gadget

Joined Mar 22, 2016
i will be needing to power other things with these batteries, headlight, tail light, turn signals, and an air compressor i will be using a motor controller but i need to figure out how to charge the batteries from the DC motor's motion and still be able to use the accessories which are all 12v.