Need help with Light Metronome

tobman

Joined Feb 21, 2010
is it possible to draw the schematics with explanations so i can have a better understanding.
and also, do you think there was any way we could have adjusted the lighting arrangement for the 4b and 7 so they could fit in?
thanks for all the responses

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Yes. I think the 595 type 8bit shift register should work. The 555 could clock it at the BPM specified. that will move the light 1 space for each beat. When it gets to the LED that we want to end on for each mode, we can reset it. that way it would loop with the beat. When the mode changes up one, it would allow one more light in the series, then loop.

I think a jazz setting would be needed for the 4b and 7 modes. That would be exactly the same circuitry with the lights set up differently.

Do you want it to "click" also? An audible "click"?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Well, first off, what do you have access to? Soldering iron? multi-meter? oscilloscope? Where are you located? US? which state? Europe? Japan? Moon? This will help to know what you have available to you.

What is your experience level with electronics? Are you as new as they come or have you any kits or projects under your belt?

[ed]
I'm going out for a little while. Ill check back when I get in.

In the mean time, read this:
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/blog.php?bt=677
Read the 555 section and the light chaser section. There are schematics and good explanations. Bill_Marsden is a hell of a good guy. This will get you up to snuff.
Also do a search on "595 shift registers" or just "shift registers". Wikipedia should have some good info on them.
Then we will see what we can do.
[/ed]

Last edited:

tobman

Joined Feb 21, 2010
i'm not really new but my work with shift registers, counters and family is kind of. and i am in the uk. please let me know when you get back
thank you

tobman

Joined Feb 21, 2010
i could have those equipment and tools by tomorrow because it is kind of late now. so, i should be able to understand it on paper for now and go on to do some work tomorrow

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
First things first. You should start by trying to simulate the circuit to get everything to work.

A good circuit simulator is LTSpice, it is what I use. That way you can built the circuit in the computer, make any changes, polish it, then buy the parts you used in the simulation.

LTSpice is free. Download it here:
http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/ltspice.jsp
You can get free tutorials by searching the web.

tobman

Joined Feb 21, 2010
Yes I have downloaded it and a friend has got altium simulation. If this is to be done, don't you think we are going to need additional gates? What do you think

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Yes. For logic, which I am lacking, we will need some gates. However I have been working on a light chaser type circuit that can do this. I am working out the kinks. I encourage you to take the gate idea and run with it. Get simulating. I'll throw some more time into it, and we will see what we come up with. Im still trying to incorporate the 'jazz style' 4b and 7 in the mix. It's quite challenging to do with 3 leds. I like it. I still think I prefer the 7 led layout.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.