Need help with LED Sequencer project

russm313

Joined Mar 11, 2013
I need some help with an idea I have about a project. I want to make a sequence of six LEDS, but I don't want them to just run in sequence when I apply power. When turned on, I want LED1 to light, then when you press a button, LED1 turns off and LED2 turns on. Press the button again and LED2 goes off and LED3 turns on. And so forth until the end, then have the process repeat.

I don't want to use Arduino or a PIC or STAMP chip. I was thinking of doing some type of circuit with a 555 and a 4017. I have made "knight rider" chasers in the past and I'm sure that can be modified in some way to have the sequence break when the button is pressed. Just can't quite figure it out.

I appreciate all the help!

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Welcome to AAC.

You can simply use the 4017 by itself and use a switch connected to the clock input. No need for a 555. You may want to consider using a CD4093 as a switch debouncer though.

I can post a circuit later if you'd like.

russm313

Joined Mar 11, 2013
Thanks for the insight. I never though of not using the 555. I would definitely appreciate the circuit when you have time later. I am going to try to put it on the breadboard tonight.

Thanks again!

Russ

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Here you go. The CD4093 has four NAND gates and only one is being used in the circuit as a switch debouncer. You can make another debouncer to trigger the reset input on the 4017 if you'd like that function or you can trigger it with one of the outputs if you do not need all ten. Hope this helps.

Attachments