need help with lcd tv power bored

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by richard1993, May 8, 2011.

1. richard1993

Thread Starter New Member

May 8, 2011
    hi i have a digital lifestyles lcd tv <-- junk lol well anyway i got the tv for free because the picture wouldnt come on so i took the back off and on the power bored theres a black thing that should be blue its cracked and i think thats the problem anyway you cant get the bored anymore and id like to get this fixed if anyone can ID what this is and how i can fix it or were i can get a new one it would be vary nice thanks the thing is outlined in red in the pic that i attached

2. tom66

May 9, 2009
    It looks like a polyfilm capacitor. When those fail, they usually completely split in half. Is the crack just on the surface or can you actually pull apart the device?

I would also check the capacitors on the secondary side these are usually the simplest fix and bring a lot of monitors and TVs back to life. (I've fixed an LCD monitor with 6 bad caps. Cost me £2 in parts and 15 minutes. Works perfectly.)

richard1993 likes this.
  3. richard1993

May 8, 2011
    yea you can split it apart thanks any idea on were i can get one

4. tom66

May 9, 2009
    What numbers or identifying marks are printed on it?

You can buy them online, usually. Where do you live? If you fill out the Location field in your profile, it will make it easier for others to help, even if it's just a general location (like "US".)

Also, I don't know if you have been warned before, but be very careful about those CapXon 420V capacitors. They can have 350V+ across them, as can other parts of the board. Make sure they are discharged - you can usually do this by testing them with a volt meter, a light bulb (rated for mains usage), or in a pinch short the terminals (a spark will be produced), but don't do this too often as you can damage them.

5. richard1993

May 8, 2011
    thanks i have found marking that say f 223j 1000v im guess correct me if im wrong that the compositor is a .22uf and 1000v i maybe wrong but thats what i have found myself about this i live in mansfield ohio if that helps anyone and i ill be filling out my profile now seeing that the people on this site are vary helpful special shout out to tom66 for helping me identify what i have here. thanks

6. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    richard1993 likes this.
  7. richard1993

May 8, 2011
    thanks everyone i know this sounds stupid but is that ac or dc

8. tom66

May 9, 2009
    They are nonpolar, but the AC rating is usually lower. Just look for 1kV / 1000V DC. That's just a withstand voltage, they rarely have that across them.

Here is the required capacitor on Digi-Key: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=399-5903-ND

I'm not sure about the lead spacing. Measure the distance between the two pins on the bottom of the board. Also, your cap was in a dipped epoxy package, but this one is in a sealed plastic package; I'm not sure if that makes a major difference (probably only a cost thing.)

As electrolytic capacitors are dirt cheap, and shipping will be the most expensive part, you might as well add some, in case the secondary side caps are busted (fairly common.)

9. johnnyboy55

Mar 30, 2013
    Hiya everyone but this question is for Tom66 because I have the same problem ie no picture and the same rated cap with the same id, ive put it on my cap tester and it comes up at 10.8 pf as you say this is obviously dodgy cos its well over the spec but the question i want to ask anyone really is what would the difference be between this particular cap of mine which looks good and a new one at the 0.022uf specified, what i really mean is would it stop my telly powering up? I am an absolute starter i just have a passion for fixing things and am giving tellys a try, thanks for any help off anyone