Need help with IR LED project using current source

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by caskater4, Dec 13, 2006.

1. caskater4

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 13, 2006
    Hello. I'm a total newbie to creating my own circuits. I've done a lot of soldering and have been able to follow instructions for wiring up my own type of stuff but i've never designed a circuit and so i'm still learning all the basics. What i'm trying to build is a small, battery and/or AC/DC powered device which is nothing more than a IR LED lamp. It will have 3-5 IR LEDs that will constantly be on. The device will have a switch to turn it on or off and a little red LED to indicate its power state (since I can't see in infrared). Now I was chatting with some people on IRC and they told me I should use a current source. So i've been reading up on it and it seems like a good idea, especially if i'm using batteries. So my question is... how do I create a current source with what I want? I would like to be able to power this whole thing with maybe 1 or 2 AA batteries (as small as possible) but also have a plug for AC/DC adapter for an outlet. I am not sure how to build a current source. All I figure is grab the LEDs, solder them together with wire and attach to battery and switch =) (like I said, i'm a newbie). Can anyone help me with this? It would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you very much.
  2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004