need help with copper wire gage and type

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Randyseattle, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Randyseattle

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 6, 2006
    I am working on a small project making a small generator and am not sure the size of wire or type to use, I found a product with the size and type i need which is used on the shake to charge flash lights you see on tv, they have a clear plastic and a magnet that goes back and forth through a copper coil to produce electicity, I need to know what gage that wire is and what type of copper, is it bare copper wire or insulated ? what gage is it ? any help would be welcome.

Thank you.
  2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004

Your wire will have to be insulated. The size is going to be small - the bulb or led will only need milliamps of current. Your best bet is going to be magnet wire, as it has an enamel insulation and will wind into a coil easily. Any size between 30 and 24 ga. will probably do just fine. 24 ga will be larger and perhaps easer to work with.
  3. Magicfingers

Jul 9, 2006
    Awhile ago I did the same project that you are talking about. Without hugely complicating it, If you are making a generator then what you are powering with it will come into play. If you are just charging a set of batteries, the fine wire suggested above will do just fine. If you are powering a house, a bit lager will be needed. More info and I can give you a better breakdown.