Need help with assignment using Quartus II

kc212

Joined Mar 14, 2011
Hello everyone. I have been given an assignment for my Digital Electronics class and I'm having trouble figuring out how to do this. I am really new to this stuff so it might be really simple but it's giving me a hard time and the Professor wasn't really much help.

I have to develop the logic circuitry necessary to meet the following requirements:

Develop the NAND logic for a Hexadecimal keypad encoder that will convert each key closure to binary.

Design the circuit to produce the output binary code and simulate it's operation using Quartus II.

I really have no idea where to start and he said that I must use a NAND gate to produce the output. Can anybody give me some advice as to where to start and explain to me what is being done? I would really appreciate it I'm stuck. Thanks.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
sounds like all digital prof's are not much help... (I am currently struggling through my digital class as well), but...

I think you need to take a look at how all hex numbers can be expressed in binary going from 0 to F. You will realize that you need multiple inputs and will get 4 outputs to produce binary representation. I think the easiest way to employ NAND gates is to look at common inputs going systematically from MSB to LSB of binary representation.