Need help with an AM transmitter!

Discussion in 'Wireless & RF Design' started by ducky_bass, Feb 24, 2012.

1. ducky_bass

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Hi, I'm planning on building a very simple AM transmitter that will broadcast to maybe a kilometre radious, but I don't have much exeperience at all with radio. I'm wondering if it would be possible to use a 150 watt guitar amp (which has a line output)? If so, how would I go about hooking it up? I'm hoping to transmit the output of a computer. Thanks so much in advance! :)

2. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    I doubt very much that your guitar amp will prove much use as a radio frequency AM transmitter.

Transmitting an unlicensed radio frequency AM signal that can be received at a distance of ~1km will require an antenna input power level which is probably illegal in most countries.

Something that works over a couple of meters is probably about all you can do legally in an unlicensed capacity.
    ducky_bass likes this.
  3. ducky_bass

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Ow. That's too bad. Would it be more legal/ work if it was an FM transmitter? (I live in Nova Scotia, canada)
  4. K7GUH

Jan 28, 2011
    You would have to check with the Canadian authorities for the details. An FM transmitter would likely be easier to get working, and there are kits available from firms like Ramsey at almost reasonable prices. Let us know how you fare.
  5. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
  6. hwy101

May 23, 2009
    FM transmitters can only legally transmit a signal about hundred feet or so, this applies in either Canada or USA
    You can buy these devices anywhere for an MP3 Player to broadcast your music files throughout your house or in the car.
    If you build or modify a transmitter beyond the legal limits, I will bet that Industry Canada will be knocking on your door very soon.
  7. radiohead

May 28, 2009
    Here's a site with some pretty good kits. The risk of operating an unlicensed transmitter where you live is up to you. I would also advise looking up the laws regarding this.