need help with a project

Status
Not open for further replies.

despat

Joined Feb 24, 2013
(ADM: please replace post with the other one that was incomplete)

I'll try to briefly explain what I have done and what I want to add (help needed).

In my latest car project, I have an HHO generator that's adding Hydrogen to the Air/Fuel mixture. The idea is to reduce the consumption of fuel by replacing some of it with an alternate energy source (Hydrogen gas). However, just adding Hydrogen alone does not help until the ECU programmed to lean the engine (provide less gas to the engine). Here is where the EFIE (intrument that intecepts the Signal from the oxygen sensor to the ecu) and reduces the voltage (signal) that the ECU recieves; so in a way we fool the Car's Computer (ECU) into thinking that there is too much Oxygen in the exhaust and thus reduce the consumption of fuel. The problem is my car has a turbocharger installed and the EFIE is only good until I boost (happens only if I press down more then usual to engage the turbocharger). For normal intown driving, I the EFIE will help to save gas but when car is boosting (say on the highway or when I suddenly need to accelerate) it needs all the fuel it can get (must run rich) so I don't want the EFIE intercepting the signal from O2 sensor to ecu. At boost, I want to bypass the EFIE.
So here is what I have currently installed: I have a relay setup to connect to an EFIE in the NORMALLY CLOSED circuit (30 and 87) on the relay so when I start the car the efie gets power and controls the fuel. However, when I boost the ground part (pin 85) of the relays COIL get a negative trigger from the BOOST GUAGE (EBOOST2) so that 30 and 87a are connected to a led that signals I am boosting and the EFIE is not working.

Problem is that I don't want the EFIE to turn off. Reason being is whenever the EFIE is powered, there is a 5 minute delay before it becomes active. This delay allows the car to warm up (as the car normally runs richer on cold start to allow for quicker warming up esp in winter). What I would really like is that the EFIE stays powered on, but the O2 sensor signal is bypasses it instead. The EFIE has two connection points for the O2 sensor signal ; one wire coming from the O2 sensor and and another going out to the ECU (carrying the altered voltage to fool the ECU). Now these voltages are very small. We're talking 350Mv to 290Mv.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE :
I would rather have a transistor or relay (or whatever is suitable) that could be connect in such a way that it would be triggered to shunt the actual O2 signal from the sensor directly to the ECU (bypassing the EFIE). But this must happen only when the coil on the relay is energized.

Any ideas would be greatly apprciated. This may be a simple 2 relay problem, but I'm not sure a relay can be used in this application. I am a beginner in electronics and would really appreciate help from more experienced people on this forum.

Thanks

despat

Joined Feb 24, 2013
Noticed my first post was closed. This is not an argument for or against HHO benefits, I could have used any example but I was honest to mention the reason for posting. This problem can have many applications and it's purely an electric related problem. So please don't delete my post without reading it.

despat

Joined Feb 24, 2013
The problem is not whether HHO is or isn't a scam, it is that you are talking about automotive modifications which are forbidden topics per the Terms of Service of this forum.

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=53904

But even if that weren't the case, this doesn't seem like a "Homework Help" forum topic.

Maybe I should repost as a generic question. I hope someone would be able to help me with the circuit part of the problem. I already have a car with the HHO/turbo installed. I just made the mistake of mentioning it.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
That may or may not let you sneak through. The owners of the forum have laid out their rules and tasked the moderators with enforcing them. If the topic you want to discuss is not allowed on this forum, then you should take it elsewhere. Being sneaky and underhanded won't earn you any points and the moderators aren't stupid.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

This is the second time I am closing the thread for being automotive and HHO related.

Bertus

An other try may result in a ban as stated in the ToS.

Status
Not open for further replies.