Need help with..a kind of different light show

fan3cir

Joined Sep 20, 2010
Hello!
I've been thinking about making some "box" that would be plugged between my guitar and amp that would generate different kind of light in the style of music played.Well i need some kind of processor and a 4channel light show.
So if any1 has any electric scheme for those i would be more than delighted.
Tnx.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
An interesting project.

There are several different things you can do:

• Change lights to the beats
  • Determine the frequency components and change lights as appropriate
  • Have a pre-programmed pattern
You need to specify more clearly what you want.

fan3cir

Joined Sep 20, 2010
uhmm.. well as i play guitar in my room which is btw 10 square meters,..it realy annoys to just stare at the 60w lightbulb and rock out at "daylight".
So i thought about putting two RGB led's on each side of my room windows (up to the height of about 1.5 meters) so that would light in the style of music played.
For this i'm gonna need some kind of processor and 4channel light show.
Next part concerns me;
Is it possible to to make within that "box" like a 1 line that would go just normally just like other guitar-amp line do, and a second to dedicate to that circuit that would activate in the end those 4 RGB led's.
So in a way i'm looking for something that would split my signal and send it unscrewed back to amp but at the same time light up led's.
Well i don't wanna anything to do with proggraming,..just simplest possible circuit, i would probably want that frequency-thing..that would be most suitable.
Tnx!

Last edited:

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Well, if you are talking about "mood" you could sample a frequency every 10 seconds or so, and depending on that, It could change the level of R G or B.

Splitting the signal would be simple.

Google "color organ"

These usually use a microphone, but there is no reason you cant use the guitar as an input.

fan3cir

Joined Sep 20, 2010
Ofcourse it's cool that stuff with plasma arc..and that "little" light show in the background, but i'm seeking something different.

Btw i've seen that circuit with color organ,...the question is can it withstand one more channel between green and red led's lines cos' i think it will only work for 3 channels.
And that input where is electric mic would be output from some kind of splitter for which i don't have scheme.
+ one more thing;there would be like 4 led's instead of 49 like in that project color organ but i would need strongest possible led's that that circuit can support so that it can illuminate a lot.

Last edited:

fan3cir

Joined Sep 20, 2010
Well tnx guys, you've helped me to narrow my search for suitable solution...
and i think this is the best i've come up to;
http://www.cpcares.com/HobbyTron/Power-Blaster-Color-Organ-Kit.html
simple,4 channel, i don't even have to tamper with cables inbetween guitar and amp...
all i have to do is put it infront of amp..and play.
But the only thing that remains to solve in that scheme is lightbulbs,... i presume main stuff is powered with 220V and that there is intended obviously to connect 4 lightbulbs but the deal is; that i realy need 4 led's for intending purpose.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Well tnx guys, you've helped me to narrow my search for suitable solution...
and i think this is the best i've come up to;
http://www.cpcares.com/HobbyTron/Power-Blaster-Color-Organ-Kit.html
simple,4 channel, i don't even have to tamper with cables inbetween guitar and amp...
all i have to do is put it infront of amp..and play.
But the only thing that remains to solve in that scheme is lightbulbs,... i presume main stuff is powered with 220V and that there is intended obviously to connect 4 lightbulbs but the deal is; that i realy need 4 led's for intending purpose.
You can buy a 12V or 6V or whatever-you-want wall-wart to do the job of stepping down the voltage, for less than $10.

I am not certain about that circuit, as no specifications are mentioned on what type of output it produces (suitable for incandescant? suitable for LED?)

Also you will probably need to buy the bright LEDs yourself. A rule of thumb is that an LED is 3x brighter for the same wattage. For example a 10W LED is equivalent to a 30W incandescent. This isn't perfect, because LEDs have different viewing angles, colours etc. but it gets you an idea.