Need help with a dc motor circuit - automotive

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by jsarv, Mar 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsarv

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 9, 2012
    I'm a noob, so bare with me here.

Here is what I have... I have a DC Motor that will be used for evacuating crankcase gases.
    The ecu I am using has an output used to control DC motors, from my understanding this is a pulsed 12v output which uses a 0-100% duty cycle scaling.
    Anyway the output is rated at 12v and 1.5A. The motor I am using is 12v and 25a.

I was thinking an NPN Transistor with a gain of 50 would do the trick, but I'm not sure on what transistor to use with that sort of current draw.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

2. BSomer

Dec 28, 2011
    Don't be too surprised if your thread is closed soon. Automotive topics are not allowed as per the TOS.
  3. jsarv

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 9, 2012
    Is there a specific reason for that? I mean a semiconductor circuit is a circuit, no matter where it is or how its used.

Any suggestions on a part number for a high power mosfet?
  4. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
  5. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    Hello jsarv,
    Our Terms of Service was updated about a year ago to preclude discussions on a number of topics; here's the relevant paragraph from the ToS:

As you can see, "Automotive Modifications" is in the Restricted Topics list.

The Owners of these Forums established the above list. It is up to the Moderator team to ensure that the Terms of Service are followed. I'm just another member with a lot of posts; I didn't set the rules, I just follow them, and I hope that you will too.

We are not automotive engineers; and automotive environments are among the most brutal on the planet. We don't have the time, background nor resources to design, build and test prototypes for that kind of extreme service; and if WE don't have it, it's a pretty sure bet that you don't either.

Your idea will be far less reliable than the way existing automotive PCV systems work, resulting in an increased risk of engine damage. Also, since you are probably not planning on burning the evacuated gases in the engine, resulting pollution emissions will be far higher than using the OEM PCV system, which will be a violation of emissions regulations.

The drive requirements for a BJT transistor are quite different from those of a MOSFET; a BJT is current controlled, while a MOSFET is voltage controlled - they are not directly interchangeable.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012
  6. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.