Need help wiring train

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by G-POP, Oct 21, 2015.

1. G-POP

Thread Starter New Member

May 24, 2015
    I am building a train for my grandsons that they can ride on. I am having trouble getting my wiring to work. Attached is the schematic showing how to wire this up. A,B,C,D solenoids at the front are wire coiled around copper pipe. The middle are ford starter relays. the leaf switches are copper plates the rest on overlarge collars on a steel axle. the collars are off center and break with the plate as the axle rotates. I have wired this up multiple times but cannot get it to operate. This is all new to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    So whats the problem? Whats not working?

3. G-POP

May 24, 2015
    First the system pops a breaker on the negative side before all the solenoids power up. Second when I use a volt meter I get about 12.5 volts on both sides of the starter solenoids.

4. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    you have a short somewhere..

How is this wire wound around a copper pipe.. sounds like a dead short to me..

5. G-POP

May 24, 2015
    I built the solenoids per plan, 3 plywood discs to separate into 2 coils. I then took them to a motor shop and they wound the wire on the pipe. How could I check the coils for a dead short?

6. G-POP

May 24, 2015
    Ultimate goal

7. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Those solenoids if wound with 200ft of #12 is around .336 Ω.
    On 12v that is 35amps!
    Max.

8. G-POP

May 24, 2015
    My understanding is that the total voltage is 24 volts

9. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    If they were across 24v that would be 70 amps per solenoid.
    Max.

10. DNA Robotics

Jun 13, 2014
    Start small. Test it with 1 coil, 1 solenoid & 1 battery. Then add the second battery, etc.

You may need a bigger breaker or and ANL fuse.

11. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Just a few questions... Can you get a schematic of the automotive relay, so we can understand the connections? Using the pictorial model does not document how they work, Secondly, where is your circuit breaker located on the diagram? Lastly, are the solenoids serving as the steam cylinders to provide motion? Have you considered using a geared motor to the wheels to drive the train?