need help wiring SIMPLE project, plz...

CatandHayley

Joined Feb 4, 2008
I am looking for some help on wiring. My 10 yr old daughter and I are working on a project that I am sure is simple to most, but not to us...we are both beginners.
Our objective is to assemble a small DC lamp that is activated by a microswitch and is on a timer. Our "experiment" revolves aound Hayley's 2 beloved pet rats...AC and DC. Since they are basically nocturnal, we want to see if they perfer light during the night. We are thinking that they may accidentally trigger the switch and turn on the light. If we could rig a timer to it, we might see if they figure it out!
We are using a small micro switch with a lever that will extend into the cage, connected to a small flashlight. Is there a way we can wire in some sort of simple timer? Preferably with something found around the house? We need help with the actual schematic, as well (I'm the last person you would want installing your 2-way hallway switch!:p)
Yes, being the fat little ratties they are, a food drop mechanism would probably be much better, but I haven't come up with anything yet. If anyone has an idea what to use for a food drop, we wouldn't need the timer! And the ratties would definitely perfer food over light! Their healthy appetites would surly result in a successful project!:)
If anyone has any suggestions, we would sure like to read them...thanks!
Cat and Hayley

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I don't know about making the gizmo with things found around the house. If you can get to a thrift store, however...

There should be dozens of toys with a motor which runs briefly. Such could be adapted as a feeder.

If you can find an old fax machine cheaply - one that cuts the paper from a roll - the cutter motor could be adapted as a feeder driver. Shoot, I might even have a couple of those in my attic. I'll check this coming weekend if you like.

Those boxes one hangs in the bathroom use a similar motor arrangement to spray the disinfectant.